almost got it put together, many (safety related) questions

To elaborate: 2 cycle oils in general work but stick exclusively with synthetic oils and lubes in my autos, and bikes. They are superior in my opinion and I just wrote an e-book with that subject matter inside so I have some research into that.

If you can't find synthetic don't worry too much but they burn cleaner and lube better.

The experienced motor bike guys on the old Grubee motor forums(which has beeen deleted) always used synthetic. I got mine at Walmart.

ok I've found another possible issue, but hey this sheds some light on my whole situation.

Heres a pic of my progress so far. Note that I actually haven't hooked up the chain yet.

bikesetupdn8.jpg

Also note that the bar was too thick to comfortably attach the fuel tank, so the rear is just slightly nudged in there while the front is held on with a zip tie. Its actually a very snug fit, the bike will move before the gas tank does.

Now notice the icky uncut fuel line. Obviously this is gravity fed, and siphoning gasoline is a no-no.

The bottom of the gas tank is just ever so slightly higher than the connection that the carburator goes on. If I cut the fuel line so that its a nicer fit, I could sneak it underneath. However, I fear this might create a pinch in the fuel line instead.

bikeproposedrg7.jpg

In this picture the line isn't pinched but it has to still go upwards about half an inch near the carburator. The gasline isn't brushing against the air intake. Note the welding job to get the carburator to fit.

I'm thinking setup #2 is preferable, but short of raising the gastank up higher I'm not sure how to else to deal with this. If setup #2 wont work then I definately dont want to be cutting the gasline.

And yes, I know my frame is too small, but for some reason nobody sells larger frames in my area.

edit: it just occured to me that there are bulbs that you squeeze to create siphons such as you use on motorboats, although I dont have the foggiest clue what they're called or where you get one.

Fuel line

Jimbo:
Fuel flow is small on this motor so as long as the bottom of the tank is higher than the carby float needle and seat brass fitting you should be OK..

Before you cut the fuel tube ensure that you leave a little extra length as the tube will shrink after a few weeks when in contact with fuel. Mine shrunk about an inch in length....

Regards Al

Just curious, how much do those tanks cost/hold?

Can a longer feed tube be purchased, for these 25 cc GEBE setups.

The 22 oz plastic tank only gives me a 45 mile radius, I've heard about a "Whizzer Peanut Tank" that fits under the seat, but never seen one.

In fact, I've only seen one, other than my own customers bikes locally, on the road, and that was an 75 year old guy, doing 11 mph or so, with the engine on a peice of wood, attached to the rear axle with a washing machine v-belt.

Paul C said:
In fact, I've only seen one, other than my own customers bikes locally, on the road, and that was an 75 year old guy, doing 11 mph or so, with the engine on a peice of wood, attached to the rear axle with a washing machine v-belt.

Strangely enough, I've seen a man wearing a kilt riding a bike matching that description, although I'm on the other side of the country.

Jimbo,

couldn't see your wheels in the pix, but here's a tip to add stability, you can actually feel a difference.

BMX bikers "weld" the spoke intersections, but you can take a 90 cent pack of zip ties and tie all the spokes together.

I felt the difference first time I tried it, especially on front wheel.

LONG one

First as you said the bike is the wrong type of bike try and find a BEACH CRUSER you do not need all those gears and the coaster break is a lot better than the hand breaks esp when you do a panic stop. You will need at least 16 inches for the motor to mount.

It looks like your engine is going to be at to sharp of an angle for the chain drive to work properly.

There is a type of gas tank that sets on the back of the bike you can take and put a rack on the back of the seat and have the tank mounted there that way avoiding the crimps and possibility of burning your fuel line

.1. After connecting the throttle to the carburator, it can now twist 360
degrees in both directions. However, it does seem to have a "lock pick" feel where you can tell it has extended all the way in a direction (although I'm not sure which). Does this mean I set it up wrong? ..YUP something is not right check how you wrapped the line

2. The muffler doesn't fit correctly on my bike. Before I spend the 40 or so dollars it takes to bend it to fit, I must ask, is it required (i.e. is it dangerous if I dont have it, or will it just not run if I dont have it)?
It is not dangerous but it will be loud and might make the engine run funny but I took and drilled a hole though the body of mine and it runs a lot better now and make some new gaskets the ones that come with the kits are glorified match books and blow out within the break in period.

3. I took my setup to a welder to get it to fit on my frame. He did a fine
job welding a mounting plate to the frame so that the motor would fit, and then welded an extension to the air intake so that it would fit without
having to turn the carburator sideways. Is this perfectly ok (i.e. safe)? The only difference is that its slightly longer and is turned so that it is
no longer centered underneath the bike frame. From what I can tell it is
safe.

4. The kill switch is supposed to be "tied to the blue wire", but I'm not
sure how this is done. It doesnt seem to normally fit on its own. Is the white wire for, say a light I wanted to connect to the bike?
My kill switch kept killing the bike at the wrong time so I ripped it off and do not use them it was a major pain in the rump trying to track down Y the bike stopped and then to find out after all that work it was the kill switch ARRRRRG!! and that has happened on 4 of the bikes I have built so now I just throw the switch away

5. I dont understand how the clutch works. It seems to be just a brake for the drive sprocket / gear (and not a very good one since the little gold thing will snap off if squeezed too hard). Based on my understanding, pedalling while its engaged would probably ruin something, so it would be nice if I could get some reassurance that wont happen.
once you get that thing set right (it will take 4 hands) it will surprise you these bikes are like push starting an old stick shift car except you are peddling once the motor gets broken in and your skill grows you will be able to pump the pedal 3 or 4 times and start the motor.

6. Is it possible I could get a clearer picture of how the chain guard is set up? Does the front connect to the right side of the engine (somehow...) while the rear connects to inside of the frame (with a zip tie?)
the chain guard in my mind is a pain where a pill will not reach...they make a lot of noise and have a tendency to break loose at the wrong time as a matter of fact I know of only one guy that has one on his bike but I do not know how much he rides his bike either

7. How hot does the motor get? I can guess your not supposed to touch it but if a piece of clothing just touches it a little will it catch on fire?
It gets HOT I have burned my leg by resting it on the motor for a second as far a pc of cloth bursting into flames NO but nilon will melt.

8. What are some warning signs of a improperly set up rig? Is it possible
for it to catch on fire or explode? Is there a way to test the motor without actually mounting it? What if I smell smoke of some sort?
Your ears are the best monitor for when something is not right you will hear a different rattle check it out !!! when you have ridden you bike some where befor you start back home check your screws nuts and bolts be sure you have used lock tight on all the nuts and bolts.
I have had an argument with a SUV and if my bike was going to explode it would have done it that day these are safe little engines and you would have to do something really dumb like dropping a match in the tank to see if it had any gas in it LOL.
If you find a way to start the motor with out mounting it let me know :).

9. The black cap that goes over the spark plug seems to have some wiggle room, is this correct?
I cut mine off as it had wiggled itself lose and was not making contact so I soldered a eye to the wire and screwed the wire onto the plug and have not had any problem since

10. I mixed the gas with 10w-30 synthetic, does that sound good? 2 cycle oil !!!

Cookie

ok I think I figured out the spinning throttle problem - when i unhook it and clamp the end of it with my hands, it works like it should. You cant twist it too far in either direction, and it resets on its own. When I put it on the bike handle, its too tight of a fit, so it doesnt reset on its own. Not sure why you can overtwist it but after reapplying it, its a lot easier to tell where the ends are. In other words, I think its livable for now. I'm pretty sure that means I set it up with the carb correctly, since it resets on its own (or would if the handle wasn't so tight).

Also I still dont get how the kill switch is set up. Stripping wires maybe?

killswitchml8.jpg

It has the same end as the white wire. I'm guessing I might be needing some electrical tape...

I know you said you just dont use yours but choking the motor seems kinda dangerous to me (reaching down there near that hot motor). I'd rather turn the fuel line to off and that still is a pretty slow way to kill it.

I cut the kill switch wire and soldered it to the blue wire- works like a charm.[/img]

ok I bought a new gas container since I cant find any place to get rid of the gas on short term.

So when I checked out two stroke oils there was two stroke for outdoor motors and two stroke synthetic for motor boats.

Does it matter which one I get?

Back