Alternative engines

agreed!!

food for another thread later...using the basic but better import parts available (105G Steel, etc...) there's nothing stopping us from developing a plain-jane felt-style made in usa frame "MBc-Certified for motorizing" and "Whizzer-Approved"...done right, you can offer up a heavy-duty "cheap" foundation for about $400...and create a few new jobs in a few different shops scattered around rural america, make frames from simple templates. very easy to setup and manage...something to think about for later.

the survey will be formally constructed and implemented when whizzer is ready to be involved with it...i'll certainly do my part. consider when the time is right introducing me to your guy and explaining where i fit in, i'll stay out of the rest of it unless asked for input.

I was reading the thread about the Whizz-In. I have to admit some concern about 15 out of 75 bikes not completing a 65 mile run. (I didn't want to pose this question in the public thread). What kind of problems were encountered? Were the ones that failed predominantly vintage models? Modified ones? Any observations about this?

Dead bikes at the Whiz-in

Hi Van, let me try to remember, 1 Cushman uknown problem.
Tim's Excelsior whet out when he took a spill (NE5 powered).
Tim Middleton's used NE5 went out with some form of Aurto-clutch failure.
Miles OHV #1 ( mine is #2) went out with his experimental clutch self-destructing.
Ken's Vintage Whizzer with Koehnke OHV Ign probs I think.
I watched a poorly running orig, that he had to restart every stop sign by pedalling furiously, not start finally one time.
One vintage guy popped a chain and had no masterlink.

As far as I can remember (and I did not take a poll, as I did not want to be seen to be gloating) we had one out of gas, and the rest who went out with unspecified problems, were vintage bikes, with vintage engines. The problems would be split between lack of maintenence, and old bikes/engines with parts that can give out, remember that orig Whizzers have points and condensors, and Magneto's and coild that would likely be no newer that 1960's construction.
As far as I know, there were no modern Whizzer engine problems, and only the 3 above failed to finish.

My bike had an approxamate total running time of 7 miles (from primary assembly, all components except used wheels and tires from my 08) and ran strong the whole 65 or so miles and plenty of up and down hill to.

Thanks for not making a public issue of this, as I do not think that the bikes are to blame, but some might.

Mike

Thanks for your responce. I had spaced on the fact that there were bikes other than Whizzer's involved, and I can understand that with vintage bikes there can be trouble. You have eased my concern. A general observation; isn't it amazing how many people get involved in a hobby like this without even a basic understanding of maintenance, or even a grasp of the workings of an internal combustion engine? So many people seem to love the form, and are clueless about the function. They buy the Chinese motors because they want that frame mount, motorcycle look, and they don't have much money, but they are often the people who should be buying a low maintenance system because they can't fix them themselves, and they can't afford to take them to a shop. They would be Totally lost without MBc to hold their hands and guide them through even the simplest maintenance issues. (That's all easy for me to say, having an an auto, RV, boat repair shop at my disposal where I can bug real mechanics whenever I have a question, and use their tools to do any maintenance.)
Anyway, to make this not totally off topic. I can't stress enough how important reliability is for a vehicle for the masses.

Dax is sure talking up his new kit. Am I correct in assuming that the engine is a Honda clone? How long have those clones been around? From reading around the forum, I get the impression that the initial "take" on them is that the motor itself is better quality than the 2-strokes, but the assembly leaves something to be desired. I think I've read of 3 people (including Dax) noting that the valves were not set correctly from the factory). I can't recall anything about the longevity of the engine. Is the cylinder plated or sleeved? Bearings or bushings? This is all just curiosity right now. I doubt that I will purchase a 50cc unless the authorities come down on me for the size of the engine I'm building around now.

this one: i am waiting on pins and needles for word of how i can best help whizzer.

Whizzer News

Well, that's provacative, isn't it? Currently there is no really big new news, I have appealed to the one there who is the best for me to work with. Sadly, they are very busy working on thier "chopper" which is pedal-less and in the Motorcycle class in ALL states. Most of thier Dealers will NOT be able to sell this bike, and many, like myself, will probably not want this bike around, as they will not want thier customers seeing (and maybe wanting) the bike that they cannot sell.

On another note, inasmuch as they are reducing thier prospective market with this product, I'm busy explaining to them that the proposed "Whizzer Junior" will open new markets, and help the company expand into the "Full Moped" market in many states. Additionally, I'm working with them to consider using a true bicycle as a chassis, reducing both the weight, and cost of the bike. This would place them more favorably in the Market Share.

As a result of my influence (weak tho it may be) This site was "Lurked" by my contact at Whizzer this week. Seems he really liked my "ChickenShirt MotorBikers" article. One concept of having him come here, was to see that the motor bicycle community is much larger than one might expect.

Sadly tho, he was exposed to the little bird factor, at the same time. Little bird you ask? Yes the cotton-pickin Cheap-Cheap of the North American Cheapie-Bird.

BTW I do not think that thier "Chopper Project" is common news, so best not metioned outside this area untill they have released (Unveiled?) it, so that I will not steal any of thier thunder by dimming thier glory.

Maybe tho, if I did let the cat out of the bag, it might eat a bunch of those NACB's?

Mike

i am sooo not worried about the "cheapos"...and i advise you guys to take the same 'tude...many benefits to a usa based supply? lobbying power to shut out the illegals. new "cheapo" alternatives (they will gladly pay more for "made in usa"). keep it bicycle-universally-installable and watch them beat a path, i promise. every old bicycle in the country will have a whizzer-2 (i wouldn't use "lite" to describe any vehicle/engine i wanted to sell) installed on it. it's not the "cheap" so much as the "universal" so they can be cheap elsewhere if that's what they want.

...Sadly tho, he was exposed to the little bird factor, at the same time. Little bird you ask? Yes the cotton-pickin Cheap-Cheap of the North American Cheapie-Bird...

Mike

Augie and I talked about his in great detail a while back and I agree with you Mike, America is full of cheap *******s.

Dan

Back