Clutch Alternative to the Clutch Lever

T

toxicmammoth

I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever come up with an alternative to the clutch lever?

Rather than have the lever on the handle bar, have it mounted like a gear shifter somewhere on the frame?

Also, has anyone try using a hydraulic lever & slave cylinder instead of the cable method?

Just looking for some different ideas on my project.

TIA

How about an electric solenoid activated clutch? (not practical but different)
I would think a hydraulicly activated clutch would be nice.

I'm going to be installing bearings to try to help with the slop and friction a bit.
I may(most likely will) put an O-ring between the clutch cover and clutch lever to help keep debri out.
I hope I dont have to end up trying to make another clutch pivot shaft.

I got my bearings in the mail today and now I'm just waiting for the extra clutch cover and pivot shaft to get here.I'm sure it has been done before but I'll give it a try myself.

The stock setup is very sloppy on mine and it is new so I can only imagine how much worse it can get.
I did grease it during the install but it is sloppy.

I'm hoping with some bearings in there it will be good for just about forever.

toxicmammoth said:
Rather than have the lever on the handle bar, have it mounted like a gear shifter somewhere on the frame?

IMO, the stick shift clutch would be awkward....I want my hands on the handlebars....in control.

not sure if the clutch leaver all comes at the same angle ,,i removed the nut on leaver and since it sits on a spline i change it so that there is less angle on the clutch cable ,, that helped ,,i also seen no use for the long spring that covers the cable that only added more tension , i then added a spring from the clutch leaver to the other side of the motor to re leave more tension ..no need for so much tension on the clutch ,, just make sure that if you add a spring to help re leave some of the tension that your clutch is not slipping ,,my guess is that i took off about 25 percent by adding a spring and it works good and no sign of slipping ,as time goes on the clutch spring may lose some tension so you should keep a close eye on the amount of tension ,

the amount of tension ,and the poor angle,,plus the sloppy fit of the clutch leaver ,, can injure your mussel in your arm ,,the amount of tension on the spring could operator the clutch on a gray hound bus ,,a long way from a 70cc what were these engineers thinking about ???

japat

dax has a new longer and angled clutch-arm...it's durn near a straight shot to the adjuster & the added length gives you more leverage, i personally like it.

opinion: the small spring helps to keep slack out of the clutch-cable system and is a plus. i've always used it and still have my original clutch cable....over 3000 miles on it now.

I have pondered an alternative to the clutch lever a couple of times and have made something I think would work. It's like a suicide clutch...well, actually when I made it, it was a brake. It would work just fine for a clutch lever though.

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/iRide_616/?action=view&current=HPIM1809.jpg

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/iRide_616/?action=view&current=HPIM1811.jpg

On a side note, I have started my next motered bike build. Bent the tubing for it last night.

Dan

Here's my solution to slopply clutch release lever. I made a brass sleeve bearing. more details at this link:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?p=3452&highlight=#3452
168_168_P1094006clutch_shaft_bearing_1_1.jpg

augidog said:
dax has a new longer and angled clutch-arm...it's durn near a straight shot to the adjuster & the added length gives you more leverage, i personally like it.

it is easer to press with the longer leverage ... but the distance of travel is farther ,,,so would you not run into a problem when you go to lock your clutch ,,even now mine is set up on my 70 cc it is touch and go to adjust if i tighten the cable enough ,, lock it so i can peddle then when i release it it barely make it back so the clutch is fully engage ,,i am wondering did you make a different locking system for your clutch or does it come with a different type leaver on handle bars with more travel ??
japat

japat100 wrote :
the amount of tension ,and the poor angle,,plus the sloppy fit of the clutch leaver ,, can injure your mussel in your arm ,,the amount of tension on the spring could operator the clutch on a gray hound bus ,,a long way from a 70cc what were these engineers thinking about ???

I highly doubt that any REAL engineers worked on these, I'm guessing they are more of a copy, the chinese products in general are pretty much copies and no R&D goes into them unless a name brand company is over seeing all aspects of production.IMO

I thought about a brass sleeve bushing but I wanted to try a real bearing so I wait for the new parts to get here, I guess I could just go out and install them in my clutch thats on the bike.

Back