altrenate tank mount

gary55

Local time
4:25 PM
Top tube to deep for tank studs and don't feel like screwing with coupler nuts? break out the welder. Yes I know the welds look like hammered dog s**t, but I'll make another pass on the front of the rear tab and they'll hold fine. Plus side is no down pulling stress on the tank studs.
View media item 62040
View media item 62041
View media item 62042

Top tube to deep for tank studs and don't feel like screwing with coupler nuts? break out the welder. Yes I know the welds look like hammered dog sh*t, but I'll make another pass on the front of the rear tab and they'll hold fine. Plus side is no down pulling stress on the tank studs.
View media item 62040
View media item 62041
View media item 62042

Kinda have a similar pro’lem, Gary. Don’t much like how much tug there is on them little tank studs, but that seems t’ be how they’re all made. Th’ way you got it now, it shouldn’t tryda rotate, either (I put 3M double-sided foam in th’ tank channel on mine, then standard strap/stud mount, but I like what you did better).

I like how that looks, if I can get my grubby dick beaters on a welder I'm going to steal that idea. Mounting on my bike is a PITA, the upper tube is shaped like () instead of O which makes the tank have only 25% of the contact patch on the underside.

I like how that looks, if I can get my grubby dick beaters on a welder I'm going to steal that idea. Mounting on my bike is a PITA, the upper tube is shaped like () instead of O which makes the tank have only 25% of the contact patch on the underside.

In the absence of welding, I’ve been wondering if anyone has used SilFos or fluxed silver wire for some of these things. I’d like to be able to weld-at-will sometimes, but no longer have on-demand access, and a MAP setup is cheap. Wouldn’t wanna do it for structural use, but fittings/tabs and exhaust seem to be reasonable options.

I'm going to try to make a mount out of the same plastic putty I used to make my lock mount. This stuff is super easy to work with, you simply put it in boiling water and it turns into a silly putty consistency. Then once it cools below about 100f it becomes hard as a rock and extremely strong. It'll hold this strength and firmness up to about 150 to 175f. It's strong enough that the piece I made for my bike lock (which is completely overkill on size) can easily support the entire weight of the bike and works as an awkward carrying handle.

My plan is to basically take two large globs, wrap them around the frame and flatten out the top part to make a place the gas tank can sit on.
I'll use the gas tank to get a shape appropriate then once the plastic hardens and sets up, I should be able to do some light finishing work, painted and get the tank bolted up without much problem.

You can get a pound of the stuff off Amazon for less than $20.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1HWJQI
IMG_20190822_094332.jpg

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
In the absence of welding, I’ve been wondering if anyone has used SilFos or fluxed silver wire for some of these things. I’d like to be able to weld-at-will sometimes, but no longer have on-demand access, and a MAP setup is cheap. Wouldn’t wanna do it for structural use, but fittings/tabs and exhaust seem to be reasonable options.
I've seen guys braze complete exhaust systems together with coat hangers and hold up very well.

Back