Aluminum frame fatbike? Do I dare?

Urban Fatbiker

Local time
5:26 AM
After clocking over 100 miles in three weeks on an upright...I told my brother if I knew I'd EVER be riding upright again, I'd have never given my fatbike to his kid.

He tells me the kid ain't riding it, he's working got his first new car. Its in their way.
I can have it back.

Gravity Bullseye 26+ (3.5 tires max) pic below outside radiation treatment room almost 5 years ago.
20170509_141128.jpg

And at the helipad outside Sarah Cannon Cancer Center.
urban fatbike at the pad.jpg

Do I dare move my 48cc and shift kit from my Schwinn to this? It'll fit better. I can use precautions at mounts, use load-spreading clamps?

Anyone running an engine on a heavier alum frame and NOT having problems? Its definitely heavier than most alum frames but that's my ill-informed opinion?

I'd love to do my Return to Sarah Cannon on that fatbike. I almost guar-an-damn-tee you they'll remember me.

Few cancer patients show up to have their yoohaw cooked, showing up riding a fatbike thru the ambulance doors.

So, any thoughts from peeps that did it and got away with it?

After clocking over 100 miles in three weeks on an upright...I told my brother if I knew I'd EVER be riding upright again, I'd have never given my fatbike to his kid.

He tells me the kid ain't riding it, he's working got his first new car. Its in their way.
I can have it back.

Gravity Bullseye 26+ (3.5 tires max) pic below outside radiation treatment room almost 5 years ago.
View attachment 167511
And at the helipad outside Sarah Cannon Cancer Center.
View attachment 167512

Do I dare move my 48cc and shift kit from my Schwinn to this? It'll fit better. I can use precautions at mounts, use load-spreading clamps?

Anyone running an engine on a heavier alum frame and NOT having problems? Its definitely heavier than most alum frames but that's my ill-informed opinion?

I'd love to do my Return to Sarah Cannon on that fatbike. I almost guar-an-damn-tee you they'll remember me.

Few cancer patients show up to have their yoohaw cooked, showing up riding a fatbike thru the ambulance doors.

So, any thoughts from peeps that did it and got away with it?
That's a nice bike, I say do it. Happy you have it back and are capable of riding.

If only I was single....my wife sneered at me putting an engine on it. But, I got free reign to put any electric I want on fatbike.

Then she says 'and its your last bike, you have an etrike, a motorbike, a fatbike...'

"Yes honey, don't forget the longbike still under construction. Bafangs are not cheap. I could sell my trike?"

'No, thats what you ride with me.'

"Oh yeah, the springtime Look At The Pretty Flowers just shoot me now tour..."
She hates when I invoke TWD and Carol when talking about our greenway rides.
🤣😁🤣

I run a 48cc on my avatar which is a OP cruiser aluminum frame, I built it 11 years ago.
Thanks, that’s the kind of info I like...applied examples.

Beginning to think it needs its own engine, balanced ported tuned and add bling and shiny things to it, make it my street cruiser, keep buzzbike as a trail brasher (channeling Karl, and his purty street cruiser)...

...put a scooter pit motor on longbike...

...And keep the etrike too.

My wife is gonna hate me.
😳

UPDATE...no she won’t. Just asked her if we’d ever ride together me on fatbike, her on trike.
‘No, not the same, we trike together.’

”So...it really don’t matter what goes on fatbike!”

’But it’ll be loud!’

[insert my s**t eating grin]

’Ok.’

If a BBSHD was gonna cost $600?
What kind of 48cc can I build with that?

I do all of my upgrades myself, the engines available today are much better than the ones from 10 years ago. Depending on a persons tools and what they want from the engine you can make a 48cc run well. The 48cc on mine will run 32 mph, I like to cruise at 26-28. I have ported, ramped the piston and trimmed the piston skirt along with a good pipe. A lot of the mods I did to my engine you will find have already been done on some newer engines. The 48cc will not do what the 66-69cc engines will but do good for what they are, I enjoy riding a 48cc more than the others.

Man I dunno I waffle. I got it back.

Rode my buzzbike to get it from shed to carport, course that means out the drive, run thru gears, back, run up side of hill and around back...it fits me well for a dirt bike. Small frame short wheelbase.

Then I rode fatbike course no power.
Great cushy ride.
But I don’t see myself squalling at 30mph on it or riding trails.
Its like mounting a steed, it’s a big bike.

Riding it, yeah, city, greenway, flat lands, like I used to.
Hub motor won’t break the bank, already got battery.
Then it gets the baddest 2+subwoofer I can mount on it, so I have my obnoxious rude tunes again.

Then I’ll have my motorized bike for trail riding, utility, maybe an excursion.
My fatbike for peace on greenways, the sound of hell‘s bells everywhere else.
And my old man trike, its a wheelchair that does 30mph, climbs hills, and doubles as park bench when on the look at pretty flowers tour.

Pocket bike motor goes in the longbike muhuaaaaa she don’t know that yet.😈 What, I’m gonna toss a frame already on wheels now don’t think so! That’s gonna be my smokin’ ride.🤘

Meh.
Got it back. Bike‘s in great shape except tires. Speedsters sat flat way too long, one’s bulged to one side from leaning, other humped in flat spot. Damn, replacing that set is way too much $$$. Refitting with Innova 3.0 cruiser tires. Rims 2”, they’ll fit fine.
Sad. I liked them tires. But 26+ size fat tires a dying breed.

Frame clearance for an engine is excellent, no intake extension needed. There’s also more clearance between seat tube and rear wheel, even more better.

I’m doing it. The Schwinn can be Ebike, so much cheaper to add to it.
Later. Budget says not today.

Easier right now to switch it over, as I’m short one 48cc at the moment due to circlip breaking. It’s on the bench.
Ordered parts, a Dellorto carb, and working on freewheel crank.

It’ll need a longer jack shaft too. Got one coming to try, another set of bearings, small lock collars.

More parts.
Bigger mount for fatbike frame.
UHD freewheel for SBP crank arm, leaving l-faster on Schwinn as it needs a bb to work.

And...ordered another 48cc, $119 engine only from gorilla gasbikes, a U-Moto unit, supposedly balanced crank?

Hmmm another few parts, maybe I won’t cannabilize the Schwinn.

Back