Aluminum frame fatbike? Do I dare?

Aluminum frame fatbike? Do I dare?​

I don't like aluminum for 2 reasons... 1 I can't weld it... 2 they develop cracks usually around or near the bottom bracket... although there are many strong aluminum frames the vibration and electrical cause fatigue in the metal... Keep a careful eye on the frame

Aluminum frames don't flex like steel frames and are prone to crack when used for M/B builds
Sometimes catastrophic failures, like the frame neck breaking off

The 48cc has little to no vibration compared to the bigger engines, it doesn’t surge when you let of the throttle either. If you don’t ride it like you stole it the frame will last.

The bike is an entry-level DH runner, think lower tier of LBS product, not upper-tier wallyworld. Very heavy frame tubing. I will take extra steps to mount with isolators.

It’ll be my cruiser, a bit higher gearing than I just tested. Gangster whitewalled for street only. May have gathered from my last post, the Schwinn may keep its motor power too and it’ll be the dirt trail basher, no electric.
I got one Ebike, trike that is, and it’s still lots of fun. As wife’s trike is always there I have backup too 😁
It’s not getting lonely either, got two Stormbox coming that pair for stereo. The Boombot is retired, need MORE volume.

it doesn’t surge when you let of the throttle either
Usually, that "surge" is caused by cheap Chinese intake and exhaust gaskets, they always seem to have some slight leakage... @mark20 makes great gaskets for the intake and doesn't charge much...For the exhaust gastket, use one of these if you have the 40mm exhaust port setup like on the 66/80 and the 79/100 setups.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
For the minerelli build

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220309-092322.png
    Screenshot_20220309-092322.png
    248.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20220309-092314.png
    Screenshot_20220309-092314.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 86
What I refer to as surge is what some call engine galloping or back off. Surge was a bad choice of words on my part. Its worse on some more than others, on higher compression engines it happen more it seems.

I'm taking notes. You guys are like the old guy at the flying field who watched me crash my 1st RC plane on its 1st takeoff.

He scolded me for being a fool.
Then, helped me learn how to fly my 2nd plane.
And...rebuild my 1st plane too.

Its kinda like that here.

The bike is an entry-level DH runner, think lower tier of LBS product, not upper-tier wallyworld. Very heavy frame tubing. I will take extra steps to mount with isolators.

It’ll be my cruiser, a bit higher gearing than I just tested. Gangster whitewalled for street only. May have gathered from my last post, the Schwinn may keep its motor power too and it’ll be the dirt trail basher, no electric.
I got one Ebike, trike that is, and it’s still lots of fun. As wife’s trike is always there I have backup too 😁
It’s not getting lonely either, got two Stormbox coming that pair for stereo. The Boombot is retired, need MORE volume.
No, don't do that. I tried that on my 4X bike, the Electra in my avatar. Way to much vibes, it caused all kinds of issues. The best thing is to use a strip of inner tube, nothing else. Don't crank down on the hold downs too hard. If you have and can use a welder, the best mount is a piece of pipe split in half, one have welded to the part that bolts to the engine and the other half under the down tube. Put a piece of inner tube between the down tube and the mount and use muffler clamp to secure. See post #100

Back