Aluminum tanks.

Sgt. Howard

Local time
6:33 PM
Having seen this "Aluminum brazing" rods advertised on the internet, I bought some along with a chunk of aluminum sheet, .060 thickness. Joints look rough as a corncob, but I can seal the leaks. Had to crank out my own fittings, and that is going surprisingly well.

Having seen this "Aluminum brazing" rods advertised on the internet, I bought some along with a chunk of aluminum sheet, .060 thickness. Joints look rough as a corncob, but I can seal the leaks. Had to crank out my own fittings, and that is going surprisingly well.
Pictures, or it didn't happen.

Thou doubtest the veracity of mine word? Churl! HERE be thine evidence!

Attachments

• WIN_20210709_15_11_05_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210709_15_11_05_Pro.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 185
  • WIN_20210709_15_11_08_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210709_15_11_08_Pro.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 163
  • WIN_20210709_15_11_23_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210709_15_11_23_Pro.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 182
MAPP Gas- I am told you can use propane to do this, but it takes longer to get enough heat. I have wasted quite a bit of the brazing rods to get this far, but the quality of the braze IS improving, so I guess I will continue along this line. Mind you, the brazing rods are pricy- so is the MAPP gas- but I am encouraged by the improvement I see. This is the right tank- if I can crank out the left tank much better, I will re-do the right one from scratch. The gas fill fitting is a chunk of aluminum rod threaded with 1" tapered pipe thread (plumbing thread). The cap is an end cap for the same out of brass- I turned in on my lathe to get rid of the casting surface and went through several grades of sandpaper, including wet-dry, to achieve what you see here. When the tank is complete, the cap will get the rouge wheel and Brasso for a final shine, along with a 1/32" hole in the center top for venting. The drain fitting is 1/2 inch turned aluminum bored out with a 1/8" tapered pipe thread- this hooks it up to a glass bowl filter, which then has a barb connection to the other filter and the carburetor.

Is BONDO worth a squat on aluminum? I've very little experience with it.

the main thing is you have to heat all the aluminum for the brazing rod to work well, not just the part you want the rod to braze since aluminum can disperse heat very quickly (much quicker than steel can)

id use a grill and the torch and see if your results get better

"id use a grill and the torch and see if your results get better"- I assume you mean a propane grill, right?

Back