Am I a weirdo? Just wondering....

Has Bike Guy Joe lost his marbles?

• Total voters
G

O.K., I know some of us are more adventurous than others....I've gotten that impression from reading the forums here.

Being that I have a background in aircraft and model aircraft, I was wondering has anyone tried using a weedwacker engine and propeller to drive a bike?

We have "experimented" here with a backpack blower and skateboard combo, but that's too cumbersome and the thrust is wrong for a bike. (the air moves too fast with not enough static thrust to do much, right around jogging speed and the fuel consumption is nothing to brag about.

I think the neighbors get a kick out of watching the eccentric guy go up and down the road though. :???:

I was just thinking, it wouldn't be very expensive to rig up a bike mounted 35-50cc engine with a prop from the hobby shop.

Anyone try it before?

B

Bill Snow

Yes, I have.

Some time ago I saw a prop mounted on the back of a bicycle. Don't think it did that well as I recall, plus the danger of the spinning prop.

I have even seen a small jet engine mounted on a bicycle.

Bill Snow

G

gone_fishin

i haven't, but i HAVE had really vivid visions of 2 chinese 70cc's on a kitty-hawk replica...

btw-ya forgot the MBc trademark "i don't vote in polls" option :p

G

Oh yeah, keep forgetting that.

Two of these engines would fly a model O.K. but if you recall the Wright Flyer has one big lump that use chains to power the two props....the Bros. were bike builders afterall....

I agree that the prop thing is not a real good idea unless there are no hills in your area. I wouldn't worry about the spinning prop any more than local traffic! :D

BTW, I have dial up, so trying to watch a YouTube video is a process I'll forego.

P

psuggmog

If you use a weedeater motor, use the full crankshart version, some of the cheaper motors use a "1/2 crank" that is ,only one side of the crank has a bearing. The way to tell is if the recoil starter is on the clutch side of the engine, it probably only has one crank main bearing. I had a couple of friends who made a hovercraft using two leafblowers for lift, using an inflatable child's wadingpool for the skirt. We pulled it in a parade with an small kid on it. I rode this bike in the parade. I could hardly stand up afterwards.

I haven't figured where to mount the engine yet, but I figure a weedeater motor would move this one pretty well.

G

How about a "backpack" mount with a modified weedwacker cable drive to a gearbox/reduction to the wheel?

srdavo

Bikeguy Joe said:
How about a "backpack" mount with a modified weedwacker cable drive to a gearbox/reduction to the wheel?
hmmmm......cable drive......what kind of gearbox would one use?
Is it do-able?

8) Gearheads unite 8)

G

Wellllll....I have a Troybuilt tiller (big weedwacker type) that has a gearbox at the end iof the "stick" on the interchangable tiller drive. You can use it as a weewacker/edger/tiller ect.

The weedwacker is pretty much 1/1 gearing, the edger I'm not sure but the tiller attatchment is definitely geared down a bit, maybe 2 or 3/1.

It's a bigger than normal engine on the top part of it. It wasn't that expensive at Lowe's. I think the main part plus the tiller attatchment were around 200 bucks.

Or.....just wear a backpack leaf blower, modified of course, and jet along. :D

Thread Status: Hello , this thread is over 3 years old. You can still reply if relevant, but sometimes it's better to create a new thread to get more replies!