Am I driving illegally?

My home state called it a non driver's identification. And whoever commented about his posts getting better and better... Yeah you're right they are.

I do have to commemorate you for taking keen notice of your parents' driving habits, they will obviously have skills that surpass yours when it comes to driving, so following their example is a very good idea. Perhaps pick up a driver's manual or download it, also pick up one regarding motorcycle usage if your state has a separate manual. Study them intensively as they are the legal framework you'll need to abide by to stay safe. At the very least you can keep them. In your backpack and tell an officer you are very careful and been studying for your test but right now this is your only transport.

I would honestly say that the highway is a big no no, usually state police are on the highways and they are less forgiving than municipal police, at least in all instances I know of.

You should basically expect nobody to see you on the road even if you were engulfed in flames from a freak muffler incident, and as such don't expect people to give you room for something they didn't even see.

Also you covered your picture out on your ID but it's funny since you've already posted your face on the forum, kinda doesn't make sense to hide what is already known. Props for having roach for a last name, actually kinda cool sounding.

Wear a helmet all the time, seriously, road rash is one thing if you want to deal with it but a helmet is practically your only defense against breaking your head open, broken bones heal but a split coconut can never be whole again. Also likely that having a helmet on is what kept the police from actually doing anything. Without it they probably would pull you over just to hassle you but it would be in your best interest of they interfered with you riding too dangerously.

I look forward to your posts, they often result in a chuckle reading through the comments.

I'm glad you are getting around safely. And like others have said, wear a helmet! Also I couldn't manage without my mirror, if you don't have one get one. A horn isn't a bad idea. I blast it when I approach side streets where I know cars will speed right out and potentially slam me or block my way. They usually look stunned but they at least stop (usually).

Remember to drive defensively because if the cars see you all they see is a bike and just want to get around you even if you are going the same speed. I was going with traffic the other day on a road it is legal to do so. I was 10 ft from the car in front of me and we were stop and go 15 mph max. Didn't matter to the white suv behind me that tried the whole stretch to pass me and kept within a foot or two from my back tire. I wished a had eggs to throw at him to tell him he was being an idiot.

Question: Is your NON drivers license like a driver's permit? I think in some states you can legally ride with a permit...

Yeah, I agree with Holly, I've enjoyed your posts Commander.
I also agree with the helmet advice. I've had several significant impacts over the years that resulted in concussion or smashed helmets. I didn't see them coming. What if I didn't have a helmet on. One was while loading an ATV onto the truck, wheel came off the ramp, PUCK! Hard helmet hit into the pavement from 3 feet. Another I hit a cable across a path. That one actually bruised my scalp and knocked me out. Speed was only about 15-20mph. I did a faceplant into sand one time hard enough to fill my mouth and nose and goggles with sand, WITH a full face MX helmet. A friend of mine says it best: "Got a $15 head? Buy a $15 helmet!"

I think my rural Nova Scotian drivers are better than most urban drivers.
Road rage? Around here when they give you the finger it means: "you go first".

Bright colours are better than noise or flames I think. Ah, mirrors, good!
And yup, bicycles are seen in much the same light as a pothole.

As for cops and expectation, I ride this bike on the street:
full

The orange one, and that is me beside it.
It is the smallest displacement bike in the pack and never the slowest.
full

I often get pulled over by the cops because it looks and sounds like an MX bike.
They always seemed stunned when I pull off the helmet and they see grey hair.
I'm usually older than the cop these days and they were expecting a teenager.
Sucks to be a teen, I still remember.

Hey, did you know "Roach" comes from the french "Roche" which means "The Rock"
It means steady and solid. A great name to live up to.

Steve

Back