Tires Amerityre - The Pros and the Cons

DuctTapedGoat

Local time
4:22 AM
Amerityre makes a solid tire (not solid tube, solid tire, one piece, tubeless), and while it is cost effective, easy to install, and easy to remove, there are some drawbacks I have found. Thus, the Pros and the Cons.

:D ::::: PROS ::::: :D

*Flats no longer exist... unless someone takes a propane torch to it.
*Very easy to install and remove - no tools, no broken fingers, no bandaids.
*Incredibly cost effective (25 dollars per tire at local Les Schwab)
*This is a hard core rubber. It is NOT that crappy soft core WalMart special solid tube that makes it feel like you're riding on flats. It feels as though the tires are pumped to ~75 lbs.
*It is hard to get flat spots on the tire. In the event of an emergency 40 mile an hour stop, the tire will actually spin inside the rim, slowing you down without skidding. Very similar to antilock brakes. This is not an intended design, this is one of those things that just is the way it is. (which has saved me from taking out a convertible who ran a red light one day, still grateful.)

:( ::::: CONS ::::: :(

*Though flats don't exist, if you're a serious rider, your tread won't exist long. Due to the higher RPM of the wheel, the torque your wheel and tire recieve from the chain drive, and the added weight of the motor, that back tire goes bald pretty quickly.
*This is a straightaway tire, not a hot rodding tire. If you make too sharp a turn at too great a speed, the tire will actually roll off of the wheel. (though as I said in PROS, it goes on easy enough, even mounted to the frame). After learning the hard way 4-5 times, I learned the speed at which I can turn without having this happen.
*One of the things about standard wheels is that the pressure of the inflated tube applies pressure to the spoke nuts, keeping your spokes tighter for longer. As this is airless and doesn't apply as much pressure, your spokes will need more maintenance, especially due to the stock rear drive sprocket installation setup.

Yes and no.

On a regular bicycle tire, when you lose tread you risk getting through the tire and exposing the tube, as well you have less thorn protection. While that is not an issue of exposing threads and tube on a solid tire, what you are losing is the treads. When I say you lose tread, I mean you lose tread and then you will start losing tire, but only in the back due to the extra weight and torque applied to the wheel. If this would be a perk, then by all means, let it be a perk - but I list it as a con, as it is meant to define that the tire will lose its tread. Lastly, tread is important on dirt conditions and in very light winter conditions, so it is not a constant truth that without tread you gain traction.

I think solid tires are made for low speed cart and industrial applications. If you ride from one work station to another, they would be great.

If they've actually rolled off the rim simply from riding, they are junk, concerning motor bicycles, then.

Conventional tubes should not make any contact with the "spoke nuts" (nipples). That is what rim strips, rim tape, or shrink liners are for (old bmx single wall rims used a thick plastic band).

The reason why wheels encounter more spoke stress using solid tires is that pneumatic tires constantly compress the whole wheel, and distribute the higher stresses of the hub pulling down on the rim.

Mag wheels are often paired with solid tyres on carts for this reason. Mag wheels can flex and have no spokes to loosen.

Why was this person banned?

It sounds like your tires do not match your rim width selection, if they are spinning on the rim during hard stops.

Does anybody know how these solid tires hold up to roller drives such as the BMP? I think it would be nice to have a consistent "pressure" in the tires, so the bike is always ready to just mount and ride, after dialing in the tension needed.

I never understood the faction of people who think a perfectly bald bicycle tire is best.

I wish I could sell them though. I'd hail them as Proven Science for Purists, and charge $100 a pair.

I like riding my city slicker tires sometimes in the spring, on the motor bicycle. They are about worthless off road, but I can't ride on any of the dirt roads then anyway, with the rains. They aren't anything special in the rain, but roll fast and are easier to wipe up when bringing the bike in the house after work.''

I guess I'm just going to have to do more laundry so I can pile away the change to buy a set and see what I think of them. I hope I do not have to buy a new wheel after testing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMubu57mf-M riding without tires hahahaha

Last edited:
No offense to anyone--but I'd say any airless bicycle tire that will "spin on the rim" during hard braking,,,,, and roll off the rim in turns, is an extremely unsafe product.
~

Unsafe - maybe. Worth it for a 75 mile daily commute - definitely. I'd rather have to pop a tire back on than walk a whole bike 30 miles back home due to an exploded/popped tire.

Nah, no lube and the right specs. It's not during hard braking so much as 35-40MPH stops.

Unsafe - maybe. Worth it for a 75 mile daily commute - definitely. I'd rather have to pop a tire back on than walk a whole bike 30 miles back home due to an exploded/popped tire.

Nah, no lube and the right specs. It's not during hard braking so much as 35-40MPH stops.

How are you achieving these tire explosions? Were you getting pinch flats or using really thin non thorn proof tubes?

Back