AMF Lancer

S

Scottm

I saw this on Craig's list for $50. It's in my living room now. I know nothing about it but it has the head lights I always wanted since Ifirst joined MBc. It's been spray painted and the light can is sun baked and I treat it like thin glass. It used to be red and white. I love the sprocket. The rear axle is a Bendix with a red stripe. My LBS guy thinks it from late 50's or early 60's.

Any restoration, dating, historical info on this bike would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• AMF1.JPG
    AMF1.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 709
  • AMF Lancer.JPG
    AMF Lancer.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 494
  • AMF lights.JPG
    AMF lights.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 493
  • AMF Stars.JPG
    AMF Stars.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 545
Last edited by a moderator:
It is a middleweight, and LBS is probably correct, though could be as late as mid sixties. Amf were "department store' bikes, meaning cheaper, mass produced bikes to be sold in department stores, or the like- No different than todays walmart Kaluna line or the huffy's (Which have a great and noble history dating to the early 1900's...), A good find at 50.00 as it is complete and not horribly thrashed upon... !

Very nice find Scott,especially for $50.With the lights if u want u can replace the bulbs with Maglite LED bulbs..their expensive but they'll consume far less power.

Riff, I think I understand what you mean by department store mass produced. The guy gave me a unused Murray Monteray cruiser(he wanted everything gone). If you put the two bikes next to each other, they look exactly alike, just years apart and the light can.
The forks are bent as is the front wheel, plus the drop outs are for a smaller axle so none of my hub/wheels from donor bikes fit. The axle has "272" stamped into it and the bearings say "hartford U.S.A 5" . The wheel wouldn't turn and you can see the bearing cone crushed or over tightened. While scrubbing I found a number (serial number?) by the rear drop out on the left side. In that picture I noticed that the frames is not welded to the drop out, just pressed on, doesn't seem safe at all. I looked at the donor huffys and saw they were the same, but my FS Elite is pressed and welded.

I don't know how I'll repaint it. Stars and stripes would be cool, but I'd like to keep the original artwork, looks pretty cool from what I can see.

Well it's a beautiful warm sunny 67 degree febuary day here and it's calling for motorbiking.

Thanks again for encouragement and input.

Attachments

• Lancer 016.JPG
    Lancer 016.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 451
  • Lancer 020.JPG
    Lancer 020.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 458
  • Lancer 022.JPG
    Lancer 022.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 494
  • Lancer 024.JPG
    Lancer 024.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 463
  • Lancer 026.JPG
    Lancer 026.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 455
  • Lancer 032.JPG
    Lancer 032.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 519
That is so cool. Reviving old bikes is tons of fun. I'll get a picture of my stripped down Schwinn frame.

Yeah that number on the dropout is a serial number. I have a number of period front hubs, and some other old stuff, so when you get around fixing it up P.M. me and we'll see what I have on hand. Unfortunately, my stock is low currently, as i've sold or used much of my vintage stuff. but with spring being here I'm on the look out for old bikes and parts, plus the annual old bike swap meet is coming up, so I can keep an eye open for what you might need for it.

Thanks for the offer Riff. I'm in no hurry and I'll dig thru piles of stuff at our swap meets too. The bikes had been in a barn that had been locked up for many years since it's owner passed away. I'm glad the seller threw the Murray on me. My guess is that the original owner bought it to part out to the AMF. The axles, bearings, headsets..... are identical. I put the front wheel from the murray on the AMF lubed up the chain and rode it around the block. It was awesome to think I was riding a bike that old and was the first person to ride it in who knows how long.
This is an e-mail I received from Oldbikes
"Hello...
Okay... what you have is from 1962. The name, "Lancer" was just a name used on private-label versions of Roadmaster bicycles market through certain stores. And the rear hub was a Bendix. And yes, the chainguard is a universal aftermarket replacement. The original was far prettier.
Normally we have a standard research fee of $18.50 + $4.50 per copy/scan for deeper analysis. Your bicycle is missing a lot of the original parts. Yes, we have the original catalogues. And can tell you a lot more.

Thanks for writing,

LD NBHAA.com"

Anyone ever pay these guys or know if it's worth it?

Before I turn this into a project thread and have it moved. Does anyone have suggestions for a coating or something to put on the plastic housing around the head like to make it stronger. I thought maybe fiberglass resin. I have a knack for destroying irreplaceable things, that's why I stay out of antiques.

Back