An idea most of you will reject... (maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murkle

Local time
4:31 PM
Well, I've got this idea...

Two smaller engines.

Now hear me out, while you can have one, 66 or 80cc engine in your bike, frame mounted, this costs a lot. My idea is to use two 35 or 40cc engines. These are cheaper, and much more available (I'm talking lawn and forestry equipment)... Ehh? What's your thoughts? A frame mount chainsaw, and a second one mounted on a rack... Or, a frame mount engine that's meant for bikes, and a rack mount chainsaw... Or something, you get my idea. Using two small engines to make just as much if not more power than one large engine could make

What's my thoughts? Um, I reject this idea. Lol. :p
Well, I will let you figure out how to get it to work. :)
I think it would be too complicated, getting both engines synchronised to not fight one another, and it doubles up on all the components, doubles the chances of a mechanical failure, and personally I need some cargo space anyway so I like having one engine in one place.
But if you want to build it then I wish you the best of luck. :)

Actually I had been thinking along the same lines but with one gas engine and one electric hub, the electric can kick in for extra power on a hill and use the electric only for stealth mode.

Which combo has been done two gas or the gas electric? Would love to read up on the results.

As best I recall they are two gas. 2 of them had twin frame mounts. 1 had twin friction drives. StreetRyderz did the gas electric hybrid also. Search forums under two engines, twin engines, or gas electric hybrid. I'm sure you will find something.

Did a search for the hybrid, a lot of talk no building except for greenmantis who is wiring with problems at this moment.

What's my thoughts? Um, I reject this idea. Lol. :p
Well, I will let you figure out how to get it to work. :)
I think it would be too complicated, getting both engines synchronised to not fight one another, and it doubles up on all the components, doubles the chances of a mechanical failure, and personally I need some cargo space anyway so I like having one engine in one place.
But if you want to build it then I wish you the best of luck. :)

I welcome the idea!
Altho there are naturally more components to assemble and maintain, if one engine fails, you can reach home on the other.
I built a twin-engined cruiser. Friction drive on each wheel. Each Mitsubishi engine ran independently. No synchronization necessary. On a trike pulling each wheel, then you have to synchronize. No so with 2-wheelers.
The only thing the engines shared was the fuel tank.
Ahhhh. There's NOTHING like the drone of twin engines running.

Did a search for the hybrid, a lot of talk no building except for greenmantis who is wiring with problems at this moment.
As best I recall they are two gas. 2 of them had twin frame mounts. 1 had twin friction drives. StreetRyderz did the gas electric hybrid also. Search forums under two engines, twin engines, or gas electric hybrid. I'm sure you will find something.

After building a bike with twin engines on friction drive, I decided to build twin pocket bike engines mid frame with shift kit thru 8-speed.
I'm mounting the engines in a "V" position to resemble a V-twin engine.
Each engine runs independently, having their own transmission and driven sprocket. Then they connect to the chainring at the pedals.
Each has their own twist throttle.
No, the engines do not need to be synchronized.
It's a long, arduous build in process.
I've posted it on motorbicycling.com

After building a bike with twin engines on friction drive, I decided to build twin pocket bike engines mid frame with shift kit thru 8-speed.
I'm mounting the engines in a "V" position to resemble a V-twin engine.
Each engine runs independently, having their own transmission and driven sprocket. Then they connect to the chainring at the pedals.
Each has their own twist throttle.
No, the engines do not need to be synchronized.
It's a long, arduous build in process.
I've posted it on motorbicycling.com
Now that sounds interesting, new and innovative! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back