An Old ?

BoltsMissing

Local time
2:55 AM
What is this type of bike ?
The previous owner say's it's about 45 years old and was throwing it out as I was walking to a bus stop. Missed the bus btw !

Attachments

• OLD BIKE 015.jpg
    OLD BIKE 015.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 360
  • OLD BIKE 016.jpg
    OLD BIKE 016.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 276
  • OLD BIKE 017.jpg
    OLD BIKE 017.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 287
  • OLD BIKE 018.jpg
    OLD BIKE 018.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 273
  • OLD BIKE 019.jpg
    OLD BIKE 019.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 287
  • OLD BIKE 020.jpg
    OLD BIKE 020.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 312
that's a cool old bicycle -- there Bolts

I spent some time staring there (pictures) this morning
in my years at the bicycle shop -- never saw anything exactly like that

no make on it ?

you got plans for that baby ???

Ride That Thing Bolts ------------------ MM

No definate plans, there is plenty of surface rust, will require 100 % commitment. The lights still work when I tested the globe by holding wires.
But the switch inside the headlight is worn. It's a 3-way switch I think, you can have either front or rear lights on seperately or both on at the same time.

if a motor to be added -- rack mount I would think ?

I like that front wheel
think that I am looking at a brake
but - it also seems to come to the mind - from long ago
some of those front wheels had built in speedometer drive units
pretty rare I think -- reckon it's a brake..

that is some heavy rust going on there
maybe just take it down a little
then paint it with some of that rust type paint ?

ride that thing ------------------- MM

Not sure of the make but it looks like a old folding bike. The front hub looks like a Raliegh dyno hub. It has a built in Generator in it. look for two studs sticking out of it on the front side.

The front hub is a dynamo and no it does not fold.
The front forks is suspension, has a swivel and rubber mount for rear suspension. Brakes are in rear hub, peddle backwards type.
Tyres say, "Dunlop, Made in Australia"

I'll give a degrease in a few days and get some more cleaner pictures with brand names from the front dynamo and whatever else cleans up.
Pump tyres and give it a go.

Motorize ? not sure at this stage.

Yup, its a moulton..

Designed by a guy who worked for british leyland and was responsible for the hydrolastic and hydragas suspension systems fitted to various of their cars including the Mini, 1100, 1800 (Landcrab) (hydrolastic) and most recently the MG F. It was also fitted to the Allegro (yetch, I mean why..!) and Princess/Ambassador range in its Hydragas format.

cross-linked Hydragas was used in the R3 Rover Metro model - replacing the front to back linkages in the ADO88 Metro.

I think from memory the displacers on the bike were of the hydragas type latterly.. in good condition these bikes are worth *alot* of money.

Jemma xx

I'm speechless, I got some old bikes, but this one is now special.
It's good to now know though, there is a benchmark out there for that engineering quality on a bike for practical everday use.
The current model Moulten has kept that quality thing "alive" or, correct, none of this fade or cutting corners stuff.
But, expensive.

2008 model,
http://www.alexmoulton.co.uk/

Back