and i lost my fuel tank cap! Holy moly!

Tauseef

Local time
3:27 AM
My fuel tank is placed on the rear, its metallic, and it 'had' plastic cap. I do not know how it happened, i lost it,it wasnt there as i reached back home after a 10KM ride. Some naughty felloe took it off,or it was loose,i have no idea.

I have now placed this gas pipe end over it,kindly see photos. It feels to be fitting very good in here. May i continue to use it?

And yes,
The previous (original small) cap had perhaps a small hole visible on its surface (for tank ventilation ?)(i occasionally saw a bubble formation over there). So does this new stopper need any hole in it?

Expertise needed!

Perhaps a brass threaded and barbed fitting with fuel line sticking up would work.
008236221589.jpg

Or order a new gas cap. That plug will cause vapor lock.

Or drill a hole in it...
I planned to drill a veryyy small pinpoint hole in this plastic stopper, or a similar brass stopper. But i was worried that this will be without an underlying rubber valve. Would it be dangerous to cause fire? (a pinpoint hole ?)
Also, it gets very hot here in summers and keeping that in mind.
(i cant get replacement cap of this size).impossible.

Perhaps a brass threaded and barbed fitting with fuel line sticking up would work.
008236221589.jpg

Or order a new gas cap. That plug will cause vapor lock.

Explain a little more, that fuel line will be attached to the top of this(nozzle).?

Explain a little more, that fuel line will be attached to the top of this(nozzle).?
Yes, but not to the carburetor, just a separate line known as a breather, on motocross bikes it's extremely common as basically anything but a thin tube will let fuel splash out as you're jumping and swinging the bike all around. If you have spare carburetor parts (or an old pen you aren't fond of) you can drill a hole in the cap and stick a fuel nipple or pen tip with super glue and put a line off that.

I planned to drill a veryyy small pinpoint hole in this plastic stopper, or a similar brass stopper. But i was worried that this will be without an underlying rubber valve. Would it be dangerous to cause fire? (a pinpoint hole ?)
Also, it gets very hot here in summers and keeping that in mind.
(i cant get replacement cap of this size).impossible.
It shouldn't cause a fire, no, no more so than any vented cap would if you brought fire near it, but that's the nature of gasoline, not gas caps. Just don't drill it with the cap on the tank since sparky tools make gas go boom boom.

Yes, but not to the carburetor, just a separate line known as a breather, on motocross bikes it's extremely common as basically anything but a thin tube will let fuel splash out as you're jumping and swinging the bike all around. If you have spare carburetor parts (or an old pen you aren't fond of) you can drill a hole in the cap and stick a fuel nipple or pen tip with super glue and put a line off that.

It shouldn't cause a fire, no, no more so than any vented cap would if you brought fire near it, but that's the nature of gasoline, not gas caps. Just don't drill it with the cap on the tank since sparky tools make gas go boom boom.

Wow....i now get it.
I found that motocross fuel tank vent online.

But i want to make it myself.

I have that "brass hose" , i shall have a piece of tubing over that hose, and then a cap of pen woth little hole at the end of tubing?

Here in foto in the post below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180308-005536.png
    Screenshot_20180308-005536.png
    161.9 KB · Views: 119
Sketch

Attachments

• IMG_20180308_010007_833.JPG
    IMG_20180308_010007_833.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 125
Wow....i now get it.
I found that motocross fuel tank vent online.

But i want to make it myself.

I have that "brass hose" , i shall have a piece of tubing over that hose, and then a cap of pen woth little hole at the end of tubing?

Here in foto in the post below.
That looks fine. :)
I think a little longer tube can possibly help if you're riding on gravel roads with a tank that is right over an axle (or outside of the wheelbase) but if you ride on paved road or the tank is in the middle like most bikes then the normal short tube is absolutely fine. I haven't noticed any leaks from my short tube.
Here's mine. :)

Back