Andy In Easter PA


New Member
Feb 9, 2008
Hello all my name is Andy and use the user name ashorn. Became interested in Bicycling at around 15 mostly road bikes doing 1 hour
rides for 20 miles or so. As all of us at one time or another got the MTB Fever and enjoyed that until it took of big time, most of the trails
in my area were unofficial and were closed by the owners. 2nd warning in the Delaware National Recreation Area for riding off the approved
trails, changed the MTB to a "Cushy Curser" with big fat road tires. Still ride the bikes with peddle power.

Then the curse came and I got the Bicycle Assist Bug, a friend of mine gave me a antique roller drive motor and bike, good old time engineering
when the engine quit the front wheel locked because the drive smashed the tire. It was more or less a lock and ride drive, no clutch. You pulled up on the handle when you wanted to stop. A month of tweaking and two weeks of riding the beast was sold to a collector of old motorbikes. We did split the sale, I think he just needed a test pilot, LOL.

Walking thru Wal-Mart I spied a Mongoose Blackcomb Bicycle. Looking at the disk brake rotor on the rear wheel gave me an idea. What if I replaced the rotor with a sprocket. Did some research on the WEB and realized I should not experience the pain of crafting my own when there were some good looking designs out there.

Decided on the GEBE PF-4000 drive kit.

A little about me, 48 years old Electrical Test Engineer. Hobbies: Computers, JetBoats, Kayaking, Ham Radio and Electronics. Like to tinker with engines, mostly 2 stroke ones. Going to use the Motorized Mongoose for late day rides around the back roads in the Delaware Water Gap area of PA. More or less to cool off and look around.

I plan to post some pictures once I get underway.

The PA MV Laws do not account for this type of setup. Uncharted territory I think ?? From what I gather if it has a motor on it, either electric
or gas it is a MV. Must have a plate and insurance. Question is, if it does not have a title how can I. I contacted my State Rep here in Mt
Bethel for some clarification on the matter.


Active Member
Nov 6, 2007
Welcome Andy
This is not uncharted territory. Pa does have it's regs. Here is a copy from a PA web site. I don't remember the site because I downloaded the PDF file from the web page a long time ago. Hope this clears things up. Don't give up because of the regs. My brother rides in Lancaster County without any problems.


This Fact Sheet provides the most accurate and up-to-date information necessary to operate and register a
moped, motor-driven cycle or motorcycle in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Specific definitions and criteria
are listed below to assist in determining the proper procedures for operating the particular vehicle in question.
Please note that a motor-driven cycle must exhibit a motorcycle plate when driven.
Owners of these types of vehicles are required to acknowledge the Financial Responsibility Statement and
provide insurance information. PennDOT will refuse to renew or transfer a registration if the self-certification of
financial responsibility is not completed on the registration application, as follows:
1. Name of the insurance company which is insuring the vehicle.
2. The policy number, effective date and expiration date of the insurance policy.

DEFINITION: A motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals, a motor rated no more than 1.5 brake
horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission,
and a maximum design speed of no more than 25 miles per hour, or an electric motor-driven
cycle equipped with operable pedals and powered by an electric battery.
CRITERIA: 1. Engine may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
2. Engine may not exceed 1.5 brake horsepower rating.
3. Operable pedals required.
4. Automatic transmission required.
5. Design speed may not be more than 25 miles per hour.
6. Does not require inspection.
7. Moped plate issued.
8. Annual registration fee is $9.00.
9. No helmet or eye protection required for driver.
10. Class C required on Driver's License.

DEFINITION: A motorcycle, including a motor scooter, with a motor which produces horsepower not to exceed
5 brake horsepower.
CRITERIA: 1. Horsepower is not more than 5 brake horsepower.
2. Inspection required.
3. Motorcycle plate issued.
4. Annual registration fee is $9.00.
5. Individuals who meet the following criteria are able to choose whether or not to wear a
motorcycle helmet:
The operator or any occupant of a three-wheeled motorcycle equipped with an enclosed
A person 21 years of age or older who has been licensed to operate a motorcycle for at
least two years.
A person 21 years of age or older who has completed a motorcycle rider safety course
approved by PENNDOT or the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
The passenger of a person who is exempt, if the passenger is 21 years of age or older.
6. Eye protection required.
7. Class M or a Class M with an "8" restriction required on Driver's License. NOTE: An "8"
restriction prohibits the driver from operating a motor-driven cycle 50CC or larger.
NOTE: The holder of a Class C license is authorized to drive a motor-driven cycle which has an
automatic transmission and a cylinder capacity that does not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
Last edited by a moderator: