announcement of illegal and non-EPA engines

i got this from the spooky tooth forum . i just copy past , because his site sucks

Spooky Tooth Cycles Passes Emissions!!
July 22nd, 2007
by The Spooky Tooth Crew
It seems that people these days are becoming more and more concerned about the environment, including the emissions put out by... bicycles?

Sound funny? Well it should.

Gas powered bicycles have been coming under scrutiny from "environmentalists" and certain bicycle groups in Tucson for air pollution concerns. Which is why Spooky Tooth Cycles decided to settle the matter once and for all.

With $12.25 in hand, Spooky Tooth Cycles went to the Motor Vehicle Division Emission Testing Facility to see if a 48cc motorized bicycle would pass Arizona emissions standards.

'The Dead President', owned by Ruben Moreno, was used at the facility.
Thank you Ruben for the use of your bike.

Testing the bike (Click on image to enlarge)

Ya, they actually tested a bicycle! The inspector read the serial number located under the bottom bracket... make: Spooky Tooth, model year: 2006. The bike was started, hose in the tail pipe, engine purring and... PASS!

Bike passes test (Click on image to enlarge)

'The Dead President' easily passed Arizona Department of Environmental Quality standards for Idle Test Pollutants hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide. The test results showed that pollutants fell within midrange for motor vehicles in Arizona on both Hydrocarbons and Carbon Monoxide. The Hydrocarbon reading in parts per million measured 7610 with a limit of 18000. Carbon Monoxide percentage showed 3.41% within the limits of 5%. These are remarkable findings in direct contradiction to what many opponents of 2-cycle engines have been claiming. Anectodal stories do not tell the tale as much as measurable facts. Given that the small displacement 48cc engine breathes with such tiny gasps of respiration, these results are even more astounding when you consider that the strict motor vhicle emission standards are measured in ratios and percentages. 7,610 ppm HC and 3.41% CO mean so much more in this case than do the same results on a gas guzzling 8 cylinder SUV.

The bike used a standard gas/oil mix of 20:1, stock spark plug, and a standard idle of 1,200 rpm. Results could have been enhanced by running straight gas, a hotter spark plug and a higher idle.

Arizona Vehicle Inspection Report (Click on image to enlarge)
In the end, we just wanted to really get the facts straight.
filed under Spooky Tooth Cycles Passes Emissions!! on Sunday, July 22nd, 2007.
You can comment, or trackback.

One Response to "Spooky Tooth Cycles Passes Emissions!!"
madewells responded:

This is great. There is a lot of statistics floating around the web that take the 2-stroke pollution numbers out of context. Has anyone else tried this in states other than Arizona? I'm going to try to get my cruiser inspected in Maryland. The results will be posted soon;)

Steve
Capitol Motorbikes

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone else tried this in states other than Arizona? I'm going to try to get my cruiser inspected in Maryland. The results will be posted soon;)

Steve
Capitol Motorbikes

Oddly enough, I just had my Whizzer inspected last Wednesday. I asked about the emissions inspection, and was told, "Pennsylvania doesn't require emissions inspection for motorcycles."

Last edited by a moderator:
Just stop right now.
I will trash my bike and buy an EPA CERTIFIED chevy tahoe
before I get a 35 cc motor inspected

A

I need to cool out from this ~

i think im going to be baned from the sight here soon go to genaral discussion to see why

Back