another coaster brake question

azbill

Local time
2:58 AM
I am getting a new front wheel with a sturmey archer drum brake ( http://spookytoothcycles.com/compon...art/page,shop.browse/category_id,52/Itemid,1/ )...bottom of page ...and want to know if it will damage my back rim to run it without a coaster brake arm. I am going to cut the original to washer size as a spacer and will run bike with front brakes alone, Roland assures me they will stop more than I can go :D

he's right, but use caution while you re-learn how to stop the bike...front brakes only can result in a lot of owwies, 'specially if you get a front flat :eek:

a little more

Thanks Augi , I forgot to mention this question was about my Deviate... at 7.5 ft long and with the rake of the forks I don't think even I could endo haha

Bill

Yeah, you can definitely tear stuff up by just removing the brake arm. If you happened to pedal backwards, it would activate the coaster brake, and without the arm in place, the axle will rotate with wheel and start chewing up metal.

You will need to "unbrake" your wheel to convert it to a freewheel hub before you remove the brake arm.

Instructions are here (I have tested this and it works):

http://www.wtlw.net/ff/suntour/

With your chopper, I would be more concerned about locking up the front wheel. I have the Nirve Switchblade, and most of my weight is on the back wheel. This is due to the long rake on the front forks and the seat being slightly on top of the back wheel.

With most of the weight in the back, it would be easy to lock up the front wheel, and that can have an adverse affect on your ability to keep the bike upright (to put it mildly).

I'm glad I could help. I need to have a use for all of this motorized bicycle info collecting in my head.

more info needed

I am confused by the unbrake thing
do I leave out shoes or just add spacers i dont want to destroy my perfectly good (as in brand new) rim

Bill

Back