Another Columbia Build...Pic Heavy

So i ordered this bike over a month ago once i saw it online, knowing i would want to build it eventually when i had time. Well now i have time, and i see others are building this bike too, most notably Mr. KC; so thats good. Bikes looking good so far, did a rear gas tank rather than make an awesome one or use the stock one. IMG_0837 copy.jpg.Made the rear gas tank rack partly from the rack that came with the tank and partly from the brackets that were on the original rack, (cut and drilled to size).tank2.jpg. Besides needing the offset intake, the only problem I'm now having is with the lower mount. mount1.jpg.I made this mount out of the large mount that came with the kit with some modified spacers, but I'm not digging the fit too much. Might consider making something new or buying a mount from SBP. mount 3.jpg. Once i get the intake in ill finish the build.

Attachments

• IMG_0844.jpg
    IMG_0844.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 552
I usually bolt the tensioner on without the pulley and just use a big Cresent wrench to bend the mount to straight.

This was disappointing to see.

attachment.php

A muffler clamp is ~$1.50 at the auto parts store so are not trying to secure a flat plate to a tube.

I usually bolt the tensioner on without the pulley and just use a big Cresent wrench to bend the mount to straight.

This was disappointing to see.

attachment.php

A muffler clamp is ~$1.50 at the auto parts store so are not trying to secure a flat plate to a tube.

im Confused about your comment, this is exactly a muffler clamp from an auto parts store. What would you rather see?

Im sorry, im now realizing what i have wrong here. The parts are right, the order of them is wrong. Ill re-arrange them and try to make this better. Thanks for pointing that out KC. Hopefully i can straighten out this tensioner bracket too.

I would think modifying the rear mount (longer studs and a chunk of aluminum between the case and the rear mount) would be a better solution. it'll help the engine fill out the frame better for one, and it would be sturdier than the setup you've got

Im sorry, im now realizing what i have wrong here.
The parts are right, the order of them is wrong.
What you have is a U bolt and flat piece of steel.
Note how your plate is already bent from tightening it on?

This is a muffler clamp.

MufflerClamp.jpg

It grips all the way around the downtube to give you a flat mounting spot that won't move or bend.

Thanks KC, yeah i used the Ubolt from the muffler clamp and the flat plate. I was having some clearance issues and not being able to get the correct length bolts to put in place of the studs, and the ubolt not being long enough, thats why i went with the flat plate. Hard to explain without seeing it. I bent the tensioner and got that at the right angle but still having some alignment issues. I posted a reply on your thread, but i can't seem to get the chain perfect. Any thoughts?

Done!

Well this build is done! At least i hope it is haha. I drove it around today everything seems good. Ill drive it for a couple more days before I'm ready to let it go. Took some messing around before i finally got the chain to run true. The offset intake i ordered, wasn't quite offset enough, so that needed to be heated and gently bent. Like PocketBike Jims build, i also didn't like the angle of the carb once the new intake was on, however everything seems to work well. I have the fix ready if need be, but ill leave it alone for now. Ran the cables through the frame tank with some grommets. Tightened things up a bit. Heres some ending pics for you guys. I hate how some of them upload sideways, oh well. Thanks again to KC and other for the wise words. IMG_0967.jpgIMG_0969.jpgIMG_0971.jpg

Nice job!

Hey Schwinn,

I was so busy with my Columbia, I guess I got a little "tunnel visioned" but I wanted to tell you that I really think your bike came out beautifully! Man, that rear tank is brilliant..... because it eliminates tons of money and WORK!!! It's such a clean install! If it were mine, I would drape the canvas bags over the top and it'd be set! Also really liked the way you routed cables through the mock tank. I tried to leave room over my inner tank for a few cables, but it's going to be tight.

The chain that comes with my bike puts the rear axle bolt, right at the front opening of the slot which make be a little nervous. Is that typical?

012.jpg

JOB WELL DONE, SIR!

Jim

Thanks a lot Jim! Glad to hear you like it. Canvas bags would look great, if i were keeping it, i would throw them on too. Yeah, my rear wheel falls in the same spot, i guess adding a link to the chain could bring it back, but it doesn't seem like it should be a problem.

Back