Another dumb idea. đź‘Ť

ImpulseRocket

Staff member
Local time
1:44 AM
I get dumb ideas a lot, let's just put that out there now.

I am well aware that this ranks up there in the world of dumb ideas, but hear me out.

I can get my hands on a Lifan produced replica of the Suzuki AX100 Engine for about 480 bucks delivered to my door.

I think this would be a fun engine to put in a gas bike frame.

It's not silly powerful. 8.25hp, fairly low compression, and a 4 speed gearbox.

Outside of potential chain alignment issues it could be made to work. The only real draw backs I see are needing fairly wide crank pedals, if they would work at all, and the weight of the entire motor assembly itself at over 40lbs.

As I said, it's a dumb idea, but oh so tempting.

The thing is though. It wouldn't be very fast. 50mm x 50mm bore and stroke. Only spins to 7000rpm max and peaks power around 6200. There are probably Phantoms and Minarelli builds making more hp than this thing, and would have a higher top speed. Heck, the bike it came from only had a top speed of about 50.

The appeal is the 4 speed gearbox.
To deal with the crank arm issue I suggest using a swept-forward crank or a semi-recumbent frame.

To deal with the crank arm issue I suggest using a swept-forward crank or a semi-recumbent frame.
I had thought about that. In terms of width I don't think it's much, if any, wider than the 4 stroke kits with their transmissions, definitely not wider than a predator 212 with a cvt, so it would be manageable.

Maybe some modified version of something like this.

images.jpeg

Back