Tubes Another Freakin' flat tire!

Hi Eco - cool site, but I really want to keep the balloon tires and white walls on the cruiser. I will be purchasing the extra thick Slime inner tubes for future use, and I have put the Mr. Tuffy inserts into the tires at this point, too. I guess if I get another flat, I'll order new tires as suggested, but I'd like to spare the retro-look of the bike if I can.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Large,
I'm running with around 40psi now...which is about 10 lbs less than how I bought it. I'm pretty convinced this is about the tube being pinched. I think the cruiser tires like a bit more pressure than the mtn tires? Mtn tires have a lower profile...

Cya,
Mark

PS. Had to drop my son at school today, and didn't want to waste gas going home to get the bike...and I missed my ride to work this morning. :(

I have seen a similar problem like this before... and..

and what it was is this.. The spoke protrudes longer than normal inside the rim at the threaded end, and gets through the rim liner protector and gets the tube from the inside. When you get a flat, inflate the tube and place into a tub full of water and check the position of the air leak. The position of the air leak will tell you what you need to know. Thanks.. Enjoy the ride..

Hi Duane,
I will check it again just to be sure...I think my second flat in the rear was definitely pinched (my fault)...I was easily able to spot the "snake bite" when I changed it...the front flat is a real mystery...the tape was never broken or stressed anywhere, and running my hand over the rims...the spokes all felt the same, and running my hand inside the tire itself along with visual, I couldn't find anything...so I'm wondering if maybe some smart-*** let the air out of the tire in front? The tube is in my office, but I'll take it home tonight and dip it in the pool to see what I can see.

Thanks for the tips. :)
Mark

PS. I think I'm going to sell my current bike to one of my employees next week. If that goes through, I'll be ordering a new Dax 4-stroker kit immediately.

I bought my first bike at a pawn shop and based my decision on the fact it was the only bike with air in the tires. After several hundred miles still same tubes and tires. I did hit a piece of glass with my Jaguar and had a blowout. I relpace the tube with a puncture resistant tube. I use my old tubes, cut off the stem, as liners.
All the kids in the neighborhood come to me to fix thier bikes and the most common cause of flats I've seen is factory related. I fill the tubes then put them in a bucket of water to see the leak. It's ALWAYS where the factory has connected the tube seam to form the cirlcle. It's usually one tiny microscopic hole. Tubes will hold air for a week then go flat. I use the 50 PSI like it says on the tire, but I only weigh 138.
I know a guy who rode his bike through a field and got tons of stickers in his tire that caused leaks. He never would just buy a new tire so he spent tons on new tubes.
Good luck.

Hi Eco - cool site, but I really want to keep the balloon tires and white walls on the cruiser. I will be purchasing the extra thick Slime inner tubes for future use, and I have put the Mr. Tuffy inserts into the tires at this point, too. I guess if I get another flat, I'll order new tires as suggested, but I'd like to spare the retro-look of the bike if I can.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Understandable. Those fixes should do it for you I agree. The extra thick inner tubes also cut down on unwanted tires flex.

Michael

Last edited:
Took a nice ride this evening for about 30 minutes...just cruising around the neighborhood and then in some other close-by subdivisions...stayed off the main roads on Friday at 6pm...went really well. It sure is nice to hear only the motor (now that I removed part of the fender that was getting touched by the chain. :)

I think I'm starting to break in...it wants to get on the pipe a little quicker, then it really takes off and I have to back off or it seems like it's to high rpms...although I really don't know. How fast is about the max cruising speed you guys feel comfortable at? I feel like I'm driving like an old lady...but I want the motor to break in well. I've got about 1 1/4 tanks through it now.

Cya!
Mark

break in

Mark,

You have to learn and ride at your own pace. Get to know your abilities and your machine. Take your time.

A riding tip: learn to keep your vision far down the road.

Michael

Last edited:
DAMMIT...ANOTHER FLAT TIRE!

Rear tire, and I can clearly tell that the tube inside has moved because the stem is tilted.
I rode for almost 8 miles...upon returning home, I figured I should run the motor a little bit faster just to not always run it "slow"...It certainly wasn't winding out, but I was probably doing about 24-25.

This bike is great, but I can't rely on it.

It's for sale for real this time. If you're interested, call me: 561-248-6074. I live in South Florida (Palm Beach).

Thank you all for the encouragment, the help, and the friendship..but I think I'm going to get that scooter and sell the bike. I need to know that I can use this for work, and not just tooling around the neighborhood withing walking distance of my house. I still think it's a cool idea, but I'm not investing another penny into "hopefully" making it work.

Best of luck to all.

Mark

Back