Another Golden Eagle

H

Hive

Wheels

Be sure to give Dennis a call at GEBE. He will have some insight on the spokes and ring, assuming you are able to jack the rear fork/dropouts out that far.

It might be helpful to advise all that the Workman will not support the drive ring, etc. on separate thread ...

bamabikeguy

Hive,

"TIPS I learned the hard way" was a thread started before there were many of us GEBES on here.

Why not you start a topic about GEBE warnings, like the new guy's buying TWO bikes with inadequate rear forks, measuring for spoke ring clearance.

I can imagine some folks thinking they can assemble this on a racing bike with the thinnest wheels, and a thread with warnings could be sticky'd to the top of the lobby.

I don't mind helping anybody who needs it, but GEBE isn't paying me, and it would be great to have one pure thread of DO's and DONT's.

D

DougC

Well,,, I am still at it on bike #1. Almost a year since getting the kit! Mostly my fault though.

The 20" Worksman frame, while quite sturdy, was simply way too small for me - I'd need about a 23" or 24" frame to comfortably fit on the bike, and 20" was the largest Worksman has.

I decided to cut-up the Worksman frame for the head tube and bottom bracket shell, and build the old-timey-style motor-bike I had wanted in the first place. I just got to tacking most of the frame together today, so I took a picture. :D

I also put the original Worksman frame in the photo, so the different sizes are obvious. The bike frame doesn't have a normal seatpost, I don't know if I'll use a bicycle saddle or get a bobber motorcycle seat. I weigh about 290 so most bicycle seats are a bit stressed with me on them!....
~

Attachments

• frame_01_f9xe.jpg
    frame_01_f9xe.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 273

bamabikeguy

Doug,

I'd advise, when you get an idea of the length, you investigate getting a longer throttle cable locally.

I thought it was an easy enough idea, my bikeshop is also a Snapper dealer, but the mechanic said he couldn't get the part on one end of the cable (I think on the engine side).

But if I were you, I'd get some kind of idea on that question about midway into the project.

Dennis said they would offer 3 lengths "down the road", but we need to know here on MB.com about retrofitting throttle cable.

Would appreciate your input on that !!

Maybe in GEBE DOOZ and Don't DOOZ?

D

DougC

I already have two cables around--an extra-long one I ordered from GEBE, and the first one I tried to extend myself (worked, but not real well).... I don't know what I'll do with the throttle cable exactly, but I do remember that holding the throttle that came in the kit wasn't real comfortable. I was pondering doing a tank-side lever as a "cruise-control" sort of thing, that would hold the throttle wherever you put it, for longer-distance rural cruising..... Not exactly safe, but the thing's just barely got brakes as it is, and I'll probably never ride it in busy traffic anyway. :)

Also--I still got a few things to add, but I put a bearingless fork and wheels on it, just to see how it would sit; I couldn't do that before because the frame was just tacked together. ....I wanted the top and bottom sections to be level with the ground and I noticed that the frame measurements had strayed somewhat from the plans, but it still looks okay overall.
~

Attachments

• frame_02_k7h3.jpg
    frame_02_k7h3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 300
D

DougC

Somewhat further along, Robin-Subaru 35cc 4-stroke engine fitted and Worksman drum brake fit into Crossbow Cycles' Monarch forks. I still have to attach the bottom bracket and finish the gas tank but at this point I am more or less waiting for parts to arrive. :/
(-sigh-)
~

Attachments

• frameforkengine_h7p4.jpg
    frameforkengine_h7p4.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 259

bamabikeguy

Dumbquestion time...

Lemme get this straight...You are going to strap that upright, cuz of the oil pump/pan, right?

Just don't want to lose my thought of train. :rolleyes: