Another Happy Time 4-stroke is on the way

1770_smalldscn3083_1.jpg
1770_smalldscn3084_1.jpg

I've had this bike for about 10 years now; most of the time, it sat locked up on the porch outside where I used to live. A couple or three years ago, I picked up an aluminum-frame bike with full suspension and rode that a bit...it's a smoother ride, but from what I've read here, aluminum frames, suspension, and bike engines don't go too well together.

1770_smalldscn3086_1.jpg

This one's a basic steel-frame 6-speed cruiser, bought off the rack at Wal-Mart. To get it ready for use again, so far I've replaced the el-cheapo tires with Kevlar-lined (IIRC) tires from a local bike shop. They're still not as big as the 2.125" tires that came with the bike when it was new, but at 1.95", they're still better than the 1.75" el-cheapos I had on it. It already had a digital speedometer that just needed a new battery to get working again. The handlebar grips are shot, but the engine kit comes with a twist-grip throttle for the right side and a matching grip for the left. With lights and the engine, it should be good to go.

There's also a chainguard that's not installed right now...the rear screw fell off at some point and I couldn't find one short enough to go on without jamming the rear sprocket. I'm thinking of just using a zip-tie to hold it on at the rear and a screw up front.

I just fired off a payment for this 4-stroke kit a few minutes ago. I'm guessing it'll arrive sometime early next week. The few other people who've bought them so far seem to not have run into problems, so I'm looking forward to some quality time in the garage in the near future to get this beast up and running. It ought to be a fun way to get to and from work.

1770_smalldscn3085_1.jpg

Sounds like a fairly successful install and maiden voyage. Please keep the posts coming about your 4 stroke. I will be in the market for a new engine soon and I want all the info I can get.

Dan

Back