Another Mystery Problem to Solve

inspectorcritic

Local time
9:41 AM
My mag rim axel broke I had repair 26/spoke rim replace spokes true it put on the rag gear plate it turned okay to push it just as the sun was setting and a hard rainfall beginning, got on pedal it with high hope could get out the rain drop the clutch skidded to a stop.
The 415 chain named into the gearbox got a spring-loaded tensioner, manage get the tensioner out tried it again same thing happened will it was night in the rain with snow expected have not as yet pulled it apart what is wrong?

Also, I manage to use a skewer axel gave me much more room had to install another 3-4 link of chain, maybe the 415 used chain is bad. I got a 420 but is short a few lengths to extended it but I lost my original pieces.

Has anyone tried this to connect a 415 splice to a 420 although one must use a 420 master link a 415 not big enough any theory will it work or not with no snags I mean one can use either size?

I believe all your 40 series chains are the same pitch, they are just wider with the heavy duty chain/bigger

I've ran a 41 link on 415h chain once in a bind, heres a chain chart.
ChainGuide_zpsid9rlwjk.jpg

420 is wider than 415. If you do use a 420 link the section of 415 will slide a bit. If you are aligned good it shouldn't matter. If you are off, it's going to skip around and click and maybe snag stuff.

It turned out even though a new chain it was totally defective on taking the sprocket cover off rolling the chain through it would lift up a link and jam up the box.

It turned out even though a new chain it was totally defective on taking the sprocket cover off rolling the chain through it would lift up a link and jam up the box.
If it's lifting up and jamming it probably not the chain, it is MOST PROBABLY your alignment.

As I said elsewhere regarding breaking chains, if the alignment is off or the rear sprocket is bent the chain will walk up the teeth and most often derail, I've seen a few jam up on a bent sprocket and ride the tops of the teeth for half a turn or so before popping

If it's lifting up and jamming it probably not the chain, it is MOST PROBABLY your alignment.

As I said elsewhere regarding breaking chains, if the alignment is off or the rear sprocket is bent the chain will walk up the teeth and most often derail, I've seen a few jam up on a bent sprocket and ride the tops of the teeth for half a turn or so before popping
My 415 chain on my shift kit, left side, was grinding away on the cover. I had to cut out a piece of the cover and grind/file down other places.

My 415 chain on my shift kit, left side, was grinding away on the cover. I had to cut out a piece of the cover and grind/file down other places.
If the chain is grinding the cover, the clutch shaft isn't centered in the case fully.
I've used the fact the clutch shaft bearing to my advantage before where chain alignment is concerned. You think about it like 1mm i typical measurements and sure it ain't $h!t, but in tolerance terms it's a whole heluva lot, and the clutch shaft can be tweaked in the Chinadoll case to compensate for as much as 3mm total just by shifting the bearings in or out of the case to move the shaft accordingly.

If the chain is grinding the cover, the clutch shaft isn't centered in the case fully.
I've used the fact the clutch shaft bearing to my advantage before where chain alignment is concerned. You think about it like 1mm i typical measurements and sure it ain't $h!t, but in tolerance terms it's a whole heluva lot, and the clutch shaft can be tweaked in the Chinadoll case to compensate for as much as 3mm total just by shifting the bearings in or out of the case to move the shaft accordingly.
The covers are cast aluminum and designed for standard bicycle chains. I'd say that problem is more likely the tolerance of the cover itself. They aren't designed for 415 HD chain.

Back