Another New Guy Checking In

Nickt919

Local time
2:57 AM
Hi,
I'm in the New Orleans Metro. I found the forum by accident looking for answers to problems I encountered on a bike.
There was a guy in my neighborhood with a motorized bicycle. He seemed to be pushing it more than riding so one day I offered to look at it. He had problems keeping the chain on the tracks.
I rode motorcycles for many years. I raced motocross and drag raced bikes for a few years so I figured some of this experience would lend itself to these motorized bicycles. After working on this bicycle long enough to get it rolling relatively problem free it put the bug back in me to ride on 2 wheels. I had gotten out of bikes thanks to a back injury and turned to flying rc helicopters for well over 10 years. The thrill of the bikes never did leave me but there was a long period where I couldn't even think of riding any sort of bike.

So now I have a Schwinn Siesta with a 66/80cc I buzz around on. Its the one...https://www.ebay.com/itm/401314977131
A one piece jug. The engine runs suprisingly well. I added...upgraded...a cnc sprocket adapter, a spring loaded chain tensioner, and a caliper brake on the front wheel for now.
I have a couple hundred miles on the bicycle but I'm having a hard time getting use to no shifting gears and having my feet rest in uneven spots on the pedals as opposed to foot pegs on a motorcycle.

Attachments

• IMG_3551.jpg
    IMG_3551.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 124
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I can solve the shifting and peg prob. Get a jackshaft kit and weld on some spring loaded pegs they automatically fold up when your feet are not on them, or has a little notch to hold them down. So all ya have to do is flick it and its out of the way. Thinking a hyway peg kinda deal. I've been thinking about doing something on my beach cruiser like that.

Be sure to research and read past threads on how to reinforce the death traps (fenders).
I picked up a piece of 1/8" x 1/2" x 1/2" steel L on the road side to make fender brackets with. I noticed rather quick the brackets on the fenders aren't gonna last. Just haven't gotten to fabricating yet. I've been avoiding grinding rust priming and painting. Now that you mention this I'll get to it sooner. Thanks.
When I put this bike together my goal was to keep the investment to a minimum. I didn't have much faith it it staying together and running.

When I put this bike together my goal was to keep the investment to a minimum. I didn't have much faith it it staying together and running.
OH, it will stay together and run fine, it its built with that purpose in mind to begin with Nick.

My last bike had lasted for 5 years and went 6000 miles before the frame broke on the bike due to factory drilled holes in frame that were put in to mount a water bottle as an accessory which i never did, the rear motor mount had to be in that exact spot and since those holes created a frame structural defect, it broke in that spot.

(The motor was a Seeutec cheapy Chinese one, it has 6000 miles on it and will still run fine if i mount it to another bike.)

My present bike i built in may of 2020, it now has almost a thousand miles on it at this time, everything was put together with lock washers and blue locktite on nuts and bolts threads for everything...lol...nothing has shaken lose in all this time now and is running above average with the Zeda 80 motor i bought for it and i also hand made and bead blasted my own front engine mount so it would firmly hold motor in place.

So have faith my friend, take your time to build them and think thru everything your doing when you build it...lol...The results will speak for themselves.

Welcome to the forums!

Pics of my present bike are posted below...The motor is stock except for the air filter, (its the Zeda 80), im getting between 95 to 100 MPG with my "Incredible Bulk" butt sitting on it...I regulary cruise between 30 to 35 MPH, (i've had it to 47 MPH before i remembered my own mortality and "chickened-out", with a little bit of throttle left over)...1 year and 5 months later with almost 1000 miles on it, it is still rock solid...DAMIEN

t
IMG_0353.jpg
IMG_0348.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg

And this is the front motor mount i made and then had bead blasted for its "finish":

IMG_0319.jpg

Just to add my 2 cents, get rid of the coaster brake.
I have a front caliper brake and will soon have the rear. Then the coaster goes. BTW...thanks for the tip.

Sidewinder told me to research fender reinforcement. I knew the fenders were an issue but I didn't think it was a priority on a new bike. After reading some of the posts in a thread about this and seeing some photos I decided to have a look this morning...
Jerry most likely saved me a migraine headache...

Attachments

• IMG_3567.jpg
    IMG_3567.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3566.jpg
    IMG_3566.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 113
I have a front caliper brake and will soon have the rear. Then the coaster goes. BTW...thanks for the tip.

Sidewinder told me to research fender reinforcement. I knew the fenders were an issue but I didn't think it was a priority on a new bike. After reading some of the posts in a thread about this and seeing some photos I decided to have a look this morning...
Jerry most likely saved me a migraine headache
An a bit of road rash too.

Back