Another New Guy From Michigan

Motor Biking - Is it a safe way to travel?

• Safer but still deadly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why would you ever risk it! NOO!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
M

MichRider

Hey all! I've read up a lot on this site and its helped a lot. I live in Michigan, South of Jackson for the Summer and in Kalamazoo during the school year (WMU). With gas skyrocketing and having a car that doesn't get great MPG, I was looking for a way to 1-save gas money since right now i burn over $20 a week 2-Find an alternative form of transportation that relieves our countries need for oil.

I don't have a motor yet but Im looking at getting a 70cc Howell Motor from a site called "thatsdax" (they recommended this site). I am also considering upgrading from the 44T to the 36T. I have a Mountain Bike with 24in wheels thats I'm planning on sticking the motor on.

So far, I have scoured the Michigan government page and have found nothing on Motorized Bikes. They only have things on mopeds which they say don't exceed 30 mph. The motor I intend on getting should put me above that. I'm going to be calling the Michigan DMV here in a few days to find out what they say and once I get back to college I'm going to find out what is allowed within the city limits. I'll get back to you with my findings.

Another issue I'm having is the fact that I'm living at home for the summer and my mom isn't to keen on the idea. Safety and all that stuff. I'm going to get the motor but as far as not being harassed about while I'm at home ....(also the time when I need it most bc I go the most driving) Any advice? Beside promising safe routes and a helmet?

Welcome, MichRider!! glad to know you. 8) yes, you've come to the right place for answers to all these questions. I dont have any ! , but there's a lot of boys n girls here who do. :LOL:

anyway, try this link for motorized bike laws: http://moped2.org/mlaws.htm

Hey guys! Thanks for the warm welcome! BTW...Its MICHrider...as in MICHigan lol not mitch

I have found that if I follow the rules of the road, the police will just drive by and wave.
I remember back in the 70's when mopeds were the rage... all the kids riding dangerously and generally being dumb, then mopeds were pretty much legislated away.(insurance, plates, drivers lic...etc)
if we act responsibly, that shouldn't happen with these

remember... If you are the first motoredbike people see, yours is the impression that will stick in their heads (let's all make it a good one)

well, MichRider, i think it's all pretty much the same:
41_avatar_wings_2.jpg
:LOL: :LOL: :p

seriously...any 2-wheeler has to accept his position in the pecking order. you're the smallest fish in the pond. remain aware of everyone and everything around you. assume they don't see you, & act accordingly. learn your bike's stopping capabilities & never exceed them. defensive motoredbiking is the order of the day.

and remember, you ARE the ambassador for motoredbiking in your area...everything that follows is up to you.

hi, MichRider's mom...i hope this helps :D

welcome to the MBc 8)

Safer than flying? Depends on what your flying and who with! :LOL:

STATISTICS would say safer since there are so few of us to become statistics, but it's not too much more dangerous than riding a "regular" bicycle.

Wear a helmet and ride safely, pretty simple. BTW, I'd stay with the stock sprocket since you'll still be able to go 35 mph and climb hills with left over power.

Check to make sure your engine will fit that 24" bike!

that'sdax is a good source to buy from and they offer really good after the sales service- go for it!

Bikeguy joe "being safe"-
601_bike_008_3.jpg

Since I gets so many miles to the gal, there isn't a noticeable difference in price between regular unleaded and premium... does premium benefit the engine? (Im not a mechanic by any means obviously) Would there be any point to getting premium?

mich'...start browsing the general & tech/mech forums for answers...if you have a new tech question, please take it into the tech area, lots of good info gets lost when it's in the wrong place...

Back