Another oil ratio question

artmaker

Local time
10:52 AM
Ok I know this is probably the most covered topic. And YES I DID try a few searches. Nothing is hitting the mark here.

So still building my bike, the manual suggests using Valvoline RACING two stroke oil. Regular valvoline two stroke oil as a second choice. I got that since two different auto parts stores didn't have anything called "racing." Curious though what the difference is?

The manual also states NEVER USE synthetic oil, that it will reduce the life of the motor. And again, my searches of these very forums came up with advice to USE synthetic oil. On this point, let the arguing begin. I need to hear from people who used either. Pros and cons.

Now my main questions... and this too has always been debatable. I'm going to follow the manual on this to the letter so not to void any warranty.
They say, 30.1 for the first few tanks of gas. (not considering how MUCH the tanks hold, kinda vague there. The standard kit tank is only about a half gal. My zeda frame holds 3.74L, nearly a gal. My last bike I bought from someone already built, he said break in is about 500 miles. And it had an odemeter. So how far exactly would "break in" be?
Then the instructions state to run at 20.1 from then on.

Now I have heard it's more like 16.1 and actually my first motorized bike I did just that and it ran fine for several thousand miles but again, for the sake of not voiding any warranty I will follow instructions given.

Main question again.... And understand, I am badly math challenged. HOW in blazes does one figure out what 20.1, 30.1 or 16.1 IS? Lets say one gal. Using a plain old measuring cup, how much oil would each of those be? I'll dedicate a cup to this, marking assorted mixes per gal forever. Then I'll be set.

I asked this at two auto parts stores and got blank looks at each. So I don't feel quite so stupid. If THEY don't know, I sure don't.

You don't have to do any math. An online conversion calculator will do it all. So you want to know how many oz of oil goes into one gallon of gas with a 20:1 ratio? All you got to do is google "gallon to oz". A conversion calculator will pop up. Just type in "1/20" in the gallon spot. And in the oz spot, it will say 6.4 oz. That's how many oz of oil go in 1 gallon of gas for 20:1 ratio.

Yea, after I posted this their chat gave me the ratio in Litres and ml at least. I can user a conversion thing now. Meanwhile they also shipped me the wrong petcock. Threads don't work with my bike. So another WEEK before the replacement comes. GRRRR.
THEN... I thought well I can at least see how to hook up my odometer. NOT! I ASKED THEM before I bought it if it would work on the bike frame I bought. They said "with modification." SWELL. I have NO CLUE how to get this to work.
So what I bought, This bike frame
and the zeda 100 motor. All from the same place. So WHY can't they know to match the right fuel valve to THEIR OWN FRAME? Or exactly how and even IF their odometer will work on THEIR OWN FRAME????

Agh, can you tell I hit my frustration limit today? Go find my post about wiring. Not a clue how to finish even that much.
Yea I'm done for today. Time for a beer.

BTW yeti I love your avitar. Sort of a wild thing going on there. lol.

:D Thanks. Yeah I hear you man. I got a new petcock too, threads also didn't match. Luckily I have a friend who was able to tap the threads of the gas tank to match, but still. I have no idea what gas tank threads they are supposed to match. Some exhaust pipes need to be bent to fit just about any frame. You need extra parts for stuff to work that the sellers don't tell you about. Its just dumb.
If you can't get your odometer working no matter how much you try, then I recommend getting a tachometer. It just has a wire that wraps around your spark plug wire, no electrical connections and its super easy to do. It tells you how many hours your engine ran total, it never resets, it just tells you how long from day one to ever on. It also gives you the current rpm your engine is running at which I love. Here's the link to the exact one I got. Its $22.49 on amazon
Tachometer Amazon

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Well I really love this odometer/speedometer. Nice big round dial, analog, old school. Had them before, they are nice. (mounting brackets are crap, last one I modified that and put on a much more solid steal one. Even that wore out with all the vibration.) BUT I never had a bike without standard spokes before either. I'll figure something out, just not today. Fed up, irritated, aggravated, frustrated. Time to stop. play some dumb games, park on youtube. I know bikes are a non stop project. Just hit too many snags at one time here.

I DID get the brake hooked up today so I got that done. Swapped out that straight handlebar for a taller one, which of course meant my cables would be too short. Pulled off the rear brake and did the front, ordered another cable off ebay, came today so I got the back done. so there's that. Something accomplished today. Still most of the day was running in and out, on live chat, looking up youtube videos, only to find out my part is wrong. grrr. And wiring.... just had to stop. I'll work on that later.
I started a thread about the electrical issue. Here

Ok I know this is probably the most covered topic. And YES I DID try a few searches. Nothing is hitting the mark here.

So still building my bike, the manual suggests using Valvoline RACING two stroke oil. Regular valvoline two stroke oil as a second choice. I got that since two different auto parts stores didn't have anything called "racing." Curious though what the difference is?

The manual also states NEVER USE synthetic oil, that it will reduce the life of the motor. And again, my searches of these very forums came up with advice to USE synthetic oil. On this point, let the arguing begin. I need to hear from people who used either. Pros and cons.

Now my main questions... and this too has always been debatable. I'm going to follow the manual on this to the letter so not to void any warranty.
They say, 30.1 for the first few tanks of gas. (not considering how MUCH the tanks hold, kinda vague there. The standard kit tank is only about a half gal. My zeda frame holds 3.74L, nearly a gal. My last bike I bought from someone already built, he said break in is about 500 miles. And it had an odemeter. So how far exactly would "break in" be?
Then the instructions state to run at 20.1 from then on.

Now I have heard it's more like 16.1 and actually my first motorized bike I did just that and it ran fine for several thousand miles but again, for the sake of not voiding any warranty I will follow instructions given.

Main question again.... And understand, I am badly math challenged. HOW in blazes does one figure out what 20.1, 30.1 or 16.1 IS? Lets say one gal. Using a plain old measuring cup, how much oil would each of those be? I'll dedicate a cup to this, marking assorted mixes per gal forever. Then I'll be set.

I asked this at two auto parts stores and got blank looks at each. So I don't feel quite so stupid. If THEY don't know, I sure don't.
Don't be fooled run your bike with Lucas semi 2 cycle 20/1 2tanks then 24/1 after never look back your cylinder will always look new. Ajust your clip try number 2 from top plug gap 24 check your plug Lucas will run and burn clean as well after break in and only after break in you will noytice more power. Do this and expect long engine life with better burn clean cylinder with no garring marks. And I always flush a new engine before I install it.

I've been running the valvoline as instructed. Not sure on tanks since I never let the tank go empty, think I'm up to about 50 miles though. Runs great. Until the seat slipped and I plopped the bike down. Busted the handlebar mount. Just got that replaced, so back in business.

Now WHY would they tell me NO synthetic, and your saying this semi stuff is the best? What does one do that the other doesn't? Teach me.

I've been running the valvoline as instructed. Not sure on tanks since I never let the tank go empty, think I'm up to about 50 miles though. Runs great. Until the seat slipped and I plopped the bike down. Busted the handlebar mount. Just got that replaced, so back in business.

Now WHY would they tell me NO synthetic, and your saying this semi stuff is the best? What does one do that the other doesn't? Teach me.
My guess is that they mean no car oil synthetic. (Like 10w-30) since they have friction modifiers that make it more slick, but at the same time it will smoke like no tommrrow.

Ive ran 32:1 with marine oil for a while now (i also use it on my "real mopeds", since they have oil injection)

If you feel comfortable with what your running, then id stick to it.

It's a myth on oil I have tested and retested. Only Lucas has a flash point whear it actually burns more burn more power. With this oil you got the best. Clean burn lubs better. My cylinder walls always look new with this oil And has a nice smooth cylinder wall. Look it up Lucas. And take your head of and check it . You won't find it looking as good as a Lucas one.as well look flash point.

Back