Any benefit to adding a centrifugal clutch kit to my 80cc 2 stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremeodd

Local time
11:41 PM
I'm running a zeda motorsports "poor boy" which is basically just a well ported motor with a better piston (supposedly) and as this hobby requires, I've been looking at new gadgets and accessories. The latest of which is a centrifugal clutch kit:
https://www.pistonbikes.com/Centrifugal-Clutch-for-a-2-stroke-p/cc2s.htm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/50cc-gas-e...entrifugal-clutches-for-2-stroke/143127547374 (Under $50 shipped)
(how to install)

This looks like it could be really handy, but the question I have is: Do these motors have enough torque to get moving from a stop using a centrifugal clutch if you weigh over 200lbs? I can already get moving from 1-2 mph using just the motor and clutch, it doesn't seem to be much of a stretch to do it from a dead stop with a centrifugal clutch.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
There are a few benefits like launching out from a dead stop and freewheeling when your going down hills is also a nice feature so you dont fry your motor if your not familiar with clutch control when it comes to 2 strokes

After playing around with a 32 tooth sprocket today (was running a 44) I've come to the conclusion this clutch would be useless if your running anything smaller than a 44 tooth sprocket. With a 44 I can go off of pure motor power if I'm doing 2-3 mph and slip the clutch for a second, with the 32 the motor is useless below 7-10 (at 9ish mph the motor is turning 1800-2000 rpm).

It would probably work best on a bike thats running a 48 tooth or bigger sprocket.

Its not the lockup speed that I'm concerned about, its the motor's lack of torque at low RPM. With a 44t sprocket the motor will turn just fast enough at a few mph to have enough torque to move (just barely) where if your running something smaller like a 36, 34, 32, it wont be at that same torque output until a higher speed meaning either that centrifugal clutch will have to slip a lot to let the motor spin fast enough to move the bike or you will simply just stall it out. Thats the biggest downside to these 2 stroke motors, no usable power at low rpm (3k and below)

Well, you can get a clutch with a higher lockup speed then. Would let it slip to a much higher, more usable, rpm.

springs can be switched out for stiffer, or lighter for couple bucks. take a look at OMBWarehouse and AGK. lots of clutch stuff cheap to really high end

The manual clutch works just fine off the line if you pedal. I've always treated my clutches like on/off switches.

Need more power off the line? Pedal harder. Your legs can produce more torque than any of these small engines will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back