Any benefit to adding a centrifugal clutch kit to my 80cc 2 stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual clutch works just fine off the line if you pedal. I've always treated my clutches like on/off switches.

Need more power off the line? Pedal harder. Your legs can produce more torque than any of these small engines will.
There comes a point when modding china girls that they make too much power for the clutch to handle and it slips when it hits the power band. A centrifugal clutch can overcome that because as rpms rise, their grip on the bell becomes greater. The spring on the manual clutch is only so strong, and getting a stronger spring just makes it harder to pull the clutch lever in.

That isn't what the OP asked, Dan. I was answering his question.

the question I have is: Do these motors have enough torque to get moving from a stop using a centrifugal clutch if you weigh over 200lbs? I can already get moving from 1-2 mph using just the motor and clutch, it doesn't seem to be much of a stretch to do it from a dead stop with a centrifugal clutch.

The manual clutch works just fine off the line if you pedal. I've always treated my clutches like on/off switches.

Need more power off the line? Pedal harder. Your legs can produce more torque than any of these small engines will.

I'm well aware they work well that way, the question was if the inherent slipping abilities of a centrifugal clutch would allow one of these bikes to start unassisted from a dead stop. Yes it would be a very slow 0-5 experience but that is to be expected. I probably wont bother with my current build as I don't want to mess with getting wide crank arms but it might just be perfect for a 20in wheel/56t bike idea I have.

Well sure a centrifugal will let you take off from a dead stop unassisted, but you won't be able to bump-start the engine anymore.

That means putting on a pull-start. Results of _that_ are mixed. Good luck.

You can still bump start, they are designed for that. The video in the OP explains. However the guy could be mistaken as he doesnt show it push starting.

EDIT: He mentions it right about here

Last edited:
Ahh I see, they retain the lever for that, with the option of removing it. I stand corrected. Well, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back