Any one in NY state? Question for you.

More than likely just trying his best to make a sale? I still can't find anything except that they are definitely illegal in NY state. I've just gotten myself a BionX today because I'm unlucky enough to get stopped and (if it's gas) I'll have a cop that will not be interested in anything I say and not be able to ride anymore. So it's electric for me. My husband didn't want me getting into trouble.

This is what I'm thinking of doing. I'll print out the law as posted on the NYS website. I'll see if I can get hold the owner of the shop next time, show him the paperwork and see what his reaction and reply turns out to be.

Or perhaps he'd be willing to share what he's smoking.

Honda,
Would appreciate further info, see other posts!!!

Dnute,
Con grads on your upgrade!! please send pics along w/ your advice, I'm seriously interested in your input on the new bike!!!

When talking to the folks there, emphasize that it is a bicycle with a motor assist, NOT a motored cycle/motorcycle/moped/scooter with a pedal assist.

If it's treated as a motorcycle, you'll also have to get DOT approved tires, which are a requirement when operating at 'highway speeds.' Of course, no one makes bicycle tires which are DOT approved.

Back