any sheave that can accommodate two belts?

butterbean

Local time
10:28 PM
I'm planning a two speed drive with a stepped pulley, two belts and an idler clutch. Anyone know of a rear wheel sheave that can accommodate two BX type v-belts? GEBE? Whizzer? Whizzer clone? I know the gebe sheave is for toothed belts, but if the teeth can be ground off and I can throw two v belts on it, that would work. Or do I need two separate sheaves?

Sort of. Two pulleys on a pivot arm, moving the pivot arm up or down via a handlebar lever and cable will engage one belt and allow the other to slip. After looking around and researching, aside from a cvt that I'm not sure would work due to having a metric crankshaft, this is the cheapest and the simplest. A cvt might be cheaper, but I can order parts for a two belt setup one at a time. Besides that, I can control this setup manually and shift gears on the fly (no need to go into neutral).

Oh, that would work nice; make sure whatever belt that's disengaged has tons of slack, or else the gear ratios will be fighting each other and you'll lose a bit of power. More so with the ax or bx series belts, cuz they aren't wrapped; just bare rubber.

And I saw your $250-300 estimate in the chat box; what are you making it out of, gold?:giggle: two drive sheaves (less than $10 each), two idlers which can be homemade or from a car's belt system, a rear sheave (which can be made with a slightly smaller bicycle rim), two belts and you're basically done

You should be able to use any rear sheave; there's so much contact area on that massive sheave that it should get tons of grip. I saw a thread where someone converted a FD to v belt drive, using a non v-belt sheave

Why are you going with the bx series over ax? You'll already have limited width on the rear sheave, and the ax belts are much stroger than you'll ever need. I have an ax-22 on my 140cc lawnmower bike and I abuse it with clutch starts etc. and it hasn't flinched.

Well I was going to buy a Whizzer sheave because it comes with the clamps and the holes drilled exactly where they are supposed to be, no way I am trying to guess where to drill the holes myself. The stepped pulley I found is $50 but if you know where I can find them cheaper....do you think a Whizzer sheave can accommodate two ax belts? and I was also counting the cost of a 1955 roadmaster frame, that's $100.

Back