Brakes Anybody brazed on their own cantilever studs?

a/c man

Local time
12:31 PM
I'm going to braze on my own cantilever brake studs so I can switch over to V brakes on my front forks. I have experience with the bronze brazing rods and acetylene torch. I guess I'm a little chicken to make the leap. I want to get good at it so I can buy some triple tree forks from Pirate cycles and put V brakes on them when the time comes. Any experienced bike mechanics out there with some pointers?

You can't get much easier than brazing. make a fixture or holder of some kind to position the studs. Grind off any paint, same with chrome.
Use a small tip on your torch- get a blue flame that has a defined point (adjust w/ too much acet. until you just get an all medium blue flame- just as you would for welding.
Initially, aim the torch more on the stud because it has more mass than the tubing of the fork. Play the torch between both parts to be joined, when they get red, hit the rod with the torch flame close to the work. Melt the braze around the joint. I like to leave a little fillet all around.
Presto- done.

I brazed some onto an old schwinn excelsior frame, using brass rod and a propane torch.

Yes, propane.

It worked.

Lasted for more than 13 years.

When I sold the bike, they were still going strong.

And I am not a little person...

brazing studs

I think the best thing to do is find a copy of the PATERICK Manual and see what he recommends. I tried to describe it step by step until I got past eleven steps. Then I gave up.

I think I have seen it in a PDF.

I know it can be done with a steel frame and sliver solder and a propane torch.

I have done it several times on different bikes(all steel). You can find the studs at NOVA cycle supply or Henry James Bicycles.

Mike Frye the bike guy

thanks for the info

I think you guys convinced me to go ahead with the plan to braze em up.
I'll let you know how it comes out once I build a jig to hold the studs in place.
The Sheldon Brown site has a decent diagram on a jig rig.

Easy to get an Acetylene flame too hot for brazing- but I'm sire you can handle it. Just get it hot enough to flow and move the flame off, bring it back when it gets too cool, lather, rinse , repeat.

Would love to see the results.

I silver soldered mine on the rear. Check out this jig built by Sheldon Brown. It is for cantilevers but they are the same studs as v brakes.
Elmo

Back