Anybody else fly RC Helicopters?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KenM, Jan 17, 2018.

1. KenM

KenM Member

I have an Align 450 SE That I put a Dominator fuselage . Flys nice!
    Lets see what you fly!!
    Keep looking up! Ken.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018

<
  2. Street Ryderz

Street Ryderz Well-Known Member

Just
    Just needs a dfc head and you would never know lol unless they notice the battery.

3. james65

james65 Active Member

With gyro?

4. Frankenstein

Frankenstein Well-Known Member

I always wanted to get into this hobby but never picked up the controller.. We've (my mom and I funny enough) also had an rc gas plane that is still not assembled, hell the balsa wood hasn't even been cut into the pieces yet. It's been on a shelf in a closet for nearly 10 years or so, maybe one day we'll build it and somehow fly it.

I should mention that absolutely nothing that flies that I've bought in the past has resisted the urge to crash multiple times until it has broken. My last chance at flying anything at all may be a drone that can at least do half of the flying for me...

5. Stoneman

Stoneman Active Member

I RC anything,

Half way building a trainer plane, not a heli but all the same :)

KenM likes this.
  6. Frankenstein

Oh I have an idea... China girl powered rc bicycle, maybe a 20 inch?

Some funky mech to lift it back up? Drop down training wheels for stops lol...

I do vividly remember a really cool rc motorcycle I had when I was young, it really did drive like a motorcycle and you would have to pick it up every time you dropped it on a turn, it had a kind of bumper along the sides close to the wheels that kind of held it up at a stop. It was precarious enough that you had to stop and accelerate carefully or it would tip over since it was just top heavy enough. The turns were pretty large, like a 6 inch motorcycle making 2 foot circles... would be like a 5 foot motorcycle having a minimal turn radius of 10 feet, you'd need a 20 foot wide path just to make a 180 degree turn lol...

Come to think of it this is probably a pretty useless rc toy unless you have a salt field large enough to play with it in, I think on grass you'd be liable to drop it often, and roads are kind of difficult if it's moving so fast that from a stand still position it would be only good for a certain stretch, and following it in a car might be just a bad idea in general, I could see any number of accidents happening due to all the distractions.

Maybe it would still be fun, put a friend on it, if he will let you drive it with him riding that is Hahahahahaaa..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Stoneman likes this.
  7. james65

james65 Active Member

I had a chopper with an OS40 for years( pre gyro ). Also many 1/2 A to 60 4 channel builds. Was a fun hobby!

KenM and Stoneman like this.
  8. Street Ryderz

Flying a heli is not like any other type aircraft do yourself a favor and get Real Flight simulator and try on there first,All my buddy's whom think they are smart and say I can do that,After I'm done laughing at them I tell them you show me a perfect flight from take off to landing on the simulator and I'll let you fly,No one has done it yet but they get a kick out of trying on the simulator and realize real quick how hard it is and how easy a heli can beat it's self to death sometimes without ever leaving the ground.

KenM and Stoneman like this.
  9. Stoneman

Stoneman Active Member

yeah i have a heli as well

i have a whole hobby room from 3D printers to desk top CNC and what ever else you need in between

i just didn't feel like blowing my trumpet :)

Street Ryderz likes this.
  10. Stoneman

Stoneman Active Member

Just wanted to join the conversation as i love RC

when a man gets up and thinks he knows it all its time for him to lay back down.

Street Ryderz likes this.
  11. Stoneman

Stoneman Active Member

They are still quiet common.

I still see a few of those bikes around time to time. If i ever get a chance to get one at a good price, it can go on the shelf with the rest of my toys :)

12. Street Ryderz

Cool My uncle and grandfather both got me into r/c aircraft as a kid and have been flying since the 70's,The first heli I built was a gmp cricket fixed pitch,simple swash plate,4 ch system with no gyro the tail rotor was manualy controlled.And lift was by throttle input,The heli's I fly now are crazy with positve & negative collective pitch, gyro stabilized tail rotor and digital servos with transit times of .7 sec for 60 degrees of travel with 50 -140 oz torque.they have come along way since Tesla's first boat.

KenM likes this.
  13. Street Ryderz

[​IMG]
    These are pretty good for handling they are power by a small nitro engine and use a weighted front wheel for gyro effect to keep upright while moving but as Frankenstein said if you slow down to much or stop it falls over. I think it's cool seeing them come out of a turn carrying the front wheel just like a gp being pushed does lol.

14. Frankenstein

Oh no, I did the flight simulators, very easy, I can land them and fly around all that, but that was all first person view.. I remeber seeing some simulators at the hobby shop that did it from the rc flyer's point of view, I think you are probably referring to that. I never really did more than a couple minutes of that on a different version of that console, wasn't intriguing..

So I'd guess that that type of simulator, including that whacky controller, would make me somewhat closer to a pilot of rc craft like that? I suppose it should it works when training through standard simulation modules...

Maybe I just don't care too much about aircraft, reality is I look at a drone as a purchase as absolutely nothing but a tool, very specifically I could see myself buying one only to satisfy a want to be able to look at specific places on buildings without breaking out a ladder or really stupid cumbersome lift, just to look at it for a minute or 2 and then pack up... I've specifically thought that if I were to be working from inside a window on the outside of a building I could use a drone to show me what I'm doing around an angle without me having to directly look at it.

Yeah.. The drone thing is probably my only chance at an rc flying machine, I remember too I had an rc blimp, the same day I bought it and filled it was the day I lost it outside, I tried to shoot it out of the tree with a bb gun and immediately after breaking loose it just flew away in the wind to the point of no return...

I've had plenty of success with rc boats however, built a few myself including one when I was about 13 which was the carcass of yet another blimp that was also killed in action. I simply took the base, turned it 90 degrees, then glued it to something that floats, and it could steer itself around a pond simply by blowing air.

All the aircraft toys I had either were destroyed or repurposed into a boat... Might explain why that model airplane is still not an airplane, and might have to do with something in my lineage (also not funny enough on my mother's side) about being of boat-building ancestral divergence... It also explains the bow-leggegness.

On a side note we did enjoy a few model rocket set ups, we still have our tie-fighter (star wars) model rocket, if it boils down to it the cub cadet model plane can be given a final launch into the neverlands...

15. Frankenstein

I've never seen anything like that and that's one of the coolest things I've ever seen!

Well there might be the thing that pushes me into the nitro world...

Stoneman likes this.
  16. Stoneman

Stoneman Active Member

That’s the exact type I’m looking out for, very cool

17. Stoneman

Stoneman Active Member

Check out the phantom 4, awesome bit of gear

Phantom 5 is either out now or not far away

Could get some very nice vids using one

18. Frankenstein

I don't need to video anything, I just want to closely inspect parts of things that at too far to reach and it would be easier than a ladder. I actually think a cheap 50 dollar one would be more than enough for what I would use it for. I can even modify the optics on a cheap set and simply give myself a closer view in focus that would make up for the bad quality camera/video feed..

19. Stoneman

Stoneman Active Member

Here is one I like to fly around the house
    image.jpg Old but still goes :)

This is my half built trainer, I really should finish it
    image.jpg
    Never flown a plane yet

20. Stoneman

Stoneman Active Member

Fair enough

I’m not sure you will get what you need with 50 bucks

Would be fun trying but