Anybody else notice this about JB Weld?

It was not a bad batch. Why is is so hard to make myself understood?

It worked EXACTLY as the label said it would. Problem is, the OTHER label (the one you see when making a buying decision) made an unrealistic claim. It's kind of like a large print/ small print thing. The small print negates the claims of the large print.

I was confused because you kept on about set up times "soup" and such, and it sounded like you were dissatisfied with the product.It's a pack of JB Weld that works like it always has, I don't know if it's something to get up about, no offense.

The set time of epoxies has an affect on the bond strength. Higher strength epoxies tend to set slowly so the molecules have time to conform to the substrates surface on a microscopic level. If you accept that statement then its easier to accept the longer than advertised cure times. I always look for slow setting epoxies.

Yes, it worked fine. That's not the problem. It just made me believe I'd done something wrong, when it didn't start to set. Eventually it turned out okay.

I guarantee that if you give JB weld a 1 hour cure at 150 degrees F it will have MUCH better tensile and compressive strength.
It will also have much better chemical resistance and be harder. I have a degree in Plastics Technologies and I have worked with
just about every aerospace epoxy out there. JB weld is not as good as some of those exotic epoxies. But, if you "post cure"
JB weld as I said, it's the best epoxy you can buy as a regular consumer. Also, if you are going to bond something important,
buy fresh JB weld. All old epoxies will setup ( within limits) BUT, ( that's a big but) adhesive bonding power takes a nosedive.
Good shop practice dictates fresh adhesives in general.
JB Weld... Goo-ood sheet .
( up there with Duct tape and hose clamps):D

I guarantee that if you give JB weld a 1 hour cure at 150 degrees F it will have MUCH better tensile and compressive strength.
It will also have much better chemical resistance and be harder. I have a degree in Plastics Technologies and I have worked with
just about every aerospace epoxy out there. JB weld is not as good as some of those exotic epoxies. But, if you "post cure"
JB weld as I said, it's the best epoxy you can buy as a regular consumer. Also, if you are going to bond something important,
buy fresh JB weld. All old epoxies will setup ( within limits) BUT, ( that's a big but) adhesive bonding power takes a nosedive.
Good shop practice dictates fresh adhesives in general.
JB Weld... Goo-ood sheet .
( up there with Duct tape and hose clamps):D

That's really good to know, Bob. Wish I'd known that a couple days ago. This is inside the cylinder (Jag's transfer port remedy) so proper application is important. The slow cure time is actually a plus, it just threw me off because of my expectations.

But yes, it was straight off the store shelf. Not heated as you said, but as fresh as I could get.

Okay, after 17 off-topic posts can we get back on topic please? :) je that is just a play on words to make the product look better, Happens all the time!.

Back