Anybody made their own angled inlet manifold?

C

Chopper

I have absolutely no room for an air filter and am currently running with the foam element ziptied :eek: to the carb

Here's a picture from when I was first installing the motor

1197_family_011_1.jpg

Now, rather than pull the bike apart and reweld the front motor mount, which I'm not sure would really give me that much more room, I'm thinking this could probably be fixed with an angled manifold and get the carb a little more level, plus look way cool 8)

Anybody made their own?... and could I do it with basic equipemnt? like a brazing torch etc?

this is what popped into my head...hacksaw out the red wedge, don't cut all the way through, bend in to fill gap, weld or braze:

41_intake_1.jpg

only a suggestion, good luck :)

I think he needs to look real close at where the back side of his float bowl will tip to if he cuts out that wedge. it might hit the clutch cable. also looks like his throttle cable wont improve and its already in sad position.

has anyone ever tried putting or fabricating a 90 degree elbow between the existing carb and intake? or would this cause all kinds of air flow issues? this would get his carb out in the open (as long as the air filter dos'nt hit his leg) heck even a 10 or 20 degree elbow might give him clearance. just an idea. I dont know if it will work.

mickal1025 said:
also looks like his throttle cable wont improve and its already in sad position.

it's only a mock up photo, throttle cable is fine now, air filter is still a prob.... I did think of that augi, but the clutch cable will be an issue, I have a bit of steel tubing that may work, little cut-and-try may be required to see what works..

Sure is a tight fit. and reshaping the pipe downward would mess up the clutch cable.

But angling it out towards the side of the bike would give the throttle cable some breathing room and allow you to put your airfilter on correctly. though, it might take away from your leg room, or limit the movement of pedaling the bike. but its certainly a possibility

wait, i could have clarified that i was suggesting method...are you sure you couldn't cut that wedge out at the right angle to achieve what you're after?

Too bad you don't live closer, I would whip one up for you. Without your bike in hand, a custom mod like that would be tough to make just right. I could probably even make a swoopy bent one that would flow a little better than the stock one.

Dan

19mm outside diameter pipe is what you need, the carb will slip over this perfectly and it is a common size in thin wall tube.

I took the easy option and just heated and bent some pipe and welded it to a new flange plate.

The pipe size more than outflows the carb so I wouldn't be worried about making it perfectly smooth or straight.

It is much harder than you might think to make consistant airtight welds in something like this so make sure you give it a few coats of paint at the end to seal it all up.

I had to make mine stick out the left hand side.

Back