Anybody recognize this Honda moped?

L

lotsa_mpg

I bought this old Honda moped yesterday and I'm wondering if any of you might have an idea as to the year and model of it? I can't find any model number stamped on it. I've searcehed ebays current and ended listings for Honda mopeds and found nothing that looked quite the same. It does have pedals, but only one chain. There's a lever on the left side of engine that allows you to switch between human power and engine power. It's a 49 cc 2 stroke motor. I'm guessing it's from the mid to late sixties, but I could be wrong by a long shot. It really runs nice.....but there's enough things broken or missing on it that I don't think I want to restore it. So I've been pondering selling all the parts except the engine on ebay and saving the engine to build a motorized bicycle....maybe something done up to ressemble some bike from the 1910-1920 era.

Pete
1548_Picture_2.jpg

Thanks Patch. That sure does look a lot like it. Only thing is, I checked the PC50 out and it appears it has a four stroke engine. I honestly didn't even have a good look at my engine yet. The guy I bought it from told me it was a two stroke and to mix gas and oil at 40:1. But my engine looks alot like the one in the PC, so maybe the guy I bought it from has been using premix in a four stroke for three decades?

Honda never made a 2 stroke during those years, they came later. Make sure there is sufficient oil in the crankcase. set the oil stick on the threads, then look at the flat spot at the bottom, should be wet to the top of the flat spot. And you should get some fresh gas, it wont hurt to run it with the 2 smoke in there, but it might foul the plug. Have fun, Dave

I know the na50 came out later than the pc50 80-81ish???(maybe wrong) but I think one of them was a 2stroke. Umm...you could probably take it to a honda bike dealer and they might have a book with every model. Hmm Ill look into it and get back to you :D

good luck

2-stroke

Hi, geeze just look and see if the carb comes in above the piston? If so 4-stroke, if no, 2 stroke.

Mike

PC 50, two stroke, they were common over here. They came new with a free old lady and wire basket.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I've been away from home since I posted this question and I finally got back and had another peek at the moped. It is definately a 4 stroke engine. I was in a bit of a rush when I bought it and did not look closely at the engine. The guy said it was a two stroke and that I should mix it at 40:1. Now one would assume that a guy who owned and rode the thing for nearly 30 years should know what he's talking about, but evidently, some people just don't have a clue. I hope that all the oil he's put through this engine hasn't caused too much carbon build up in the ring lands. It seems to run OK. The mill kinda sounds more like a two stroke than a 4 probably due to some rust holes in the pipe. I suppose that's why I at first took his word on it. I'm actually quite pleased to discover it is a 4 stroke. I think I'll dismantle the top end to check for carbon build up before I run it. The other big question now is, has anyone ever changed the oil in the crankcase since new? The level is fine, but it's the dirtiest smelliest oil I've ever seen on a dipstick.

stinky crankcase

Hi, well If he thought it was a 2-stroke, doubtfull he would have ever tried to chane oil in crankcase.
And, if someone kept putting 2-stroke fuel in you and sitting on your back driving all over town, what do you suppose your crankcase would smell like? Hmmmmmmm????
I'll just bet she's ready for an oil change, and then another in 20 miles or so, untill you de-gunk that poor baby.

Mike

i used to have a pc50 the engines are generally very robust and hardly ever worn.just like all honda 4 stroke small engines.except for the early p50 engine that had some designe fault with the push rods.here a pic of a pc 50 from a club run in the uk.ok its not a great shot
146_mincepie_run_2006_7_1.jpg

Back