Anyone else having trouble with CDI units?

P

pianoman8t8

I just ordered a new CDI box thing from Dax, 'cuz my old one doesn't seem to be working. The spark plug is fine, I only have 185 miles on the bike, though. The wires that come outta the engine, the black and the white and w/e the other color is, all have power, so I'm assuming it's the CDI box. just curious if anyone else had this problem. Also, could it be from water getting inside of it from driving though the snow?

-pianoman

we thought the same thing, bad CDI but agfter replaceing with a new CDI, it still sputtered, wouldn't really start. next we replaced the magneto in the engine, and that fixed the problem. it really sucked because we had purchased the motor from dax and had it for 6 weeks and the magneto went bad. hope this helps you out pianoman. later........

my engine kept dying 2 and i had for me it was the wires getting wet what i had to was cover the wires up with a bunch of electrical tape to make sure they stayed dry

magnito

I had that problem also take the cover off the magnito and clean the magnito that gasket is not that good you may want to replace it after you clean the mag. I used mek but a carb cleaner will work. also check your intake gaskets.

Cookie

yeah, i'll do that when i get home this weekend.. but there's power going thought the wires to the CDI box, but none coming out, so it might not be the magneto... but i will use that info as future reference..

Thanx
-pianoman

i keep killing CDI units too. first one went after a month second lasted the same and am now on the third and it is horrible. i am about to try and fit a cdi from a yz 125 to mine. it seems to have all the same wires etc. maybe it will help i dont know. i am getting sick and tired of forking out cash on cdi's

Back