Anyone ever considered using a Shaft Driven Bicycle?

Mike Lynch

Local time
3:03 AM
Please! Please! Please! Note that I am asking if there are any advantages or disadvantages of using a "shaft" driven Motorized Bicycle Frame Vs. a DeRailer Driven Bicycle Frame Vs. a Single Geared Bicycle Frame as a Motorized Bicycle. I am NOT asking that the "shaft" be attached to the Motor in any way just the use of this type of Bicycle Frame as the carrier that the Motor would be attached / mounted on. Your positive feedback will be appreciated.

Would there be any advantage or disadvantage in building a Motor Driven Bike with "shaft drive"?

Here is a site where I saw them: http://www.dynamicbicycles.com/bikes/

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch

Last edited:
hey Mike

went there and stayed on site for a while -- interesting to say the least
yes -- seen the shaft drive used on bicycles before
just brought more interest today

wondering what country that THING is made in
also thinking -- adding motor would be pretty cool

going to be a thinking about this more -- thanks -- from -- MM

If you were planning to use the shaft to transfer the power from the motor to the wheel, you would have to figure out how to transfer the power from the motor to the shaft first.

Haines Alaska!

Alaskavan,

The Pizza served at the Pizza Shop at the main intersection accross from the Bank was pretty good. I have forgotten the name of the Pizza Shop hopefully you know where I'm referring to. For early September however, it sure felt cold sitting upstairs. Then it started to rain. When I boarded the ship the next morning it was still raining and a lot colder than the day before. Perhaps the next time I visit Haines, maybe on a Motorized Bicycle, we can have a beer or two while we share a Pizza. Haines is a very beautiful town.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch

Last edited:
power has to get there some way

you would have to figure out how to transfer the power from the motor to the shaft first.

that's the conversion part needed that get's the mind going

I was thinking of a simple chain drive from motor area to front sprocket area

but oh no -- then we are back to using chains or belts ect

but the power has to get there some way

as we ride those things

I am NOT asking that the "shaft" be attached to the Motor in any way just the use of this type of Bicycle Frame as the carrier that the Motor would be attached / mounted on. Your positive feedback will be appreciated.

Looks good to me.

2. Less Maintenance

Our shaft drive bikes are designed to be easy to maintain. The Shimano Nexus hubs are sealed and lifetime lubricated and don't have a maintenance schedule. The fully enclosed shaft drive system keeps the gears and shaft drive protected from the elements as well as from damage, dramatically reducing the frequency of tune-ups and repairs required by chain-derailleur bikes.
8. Easy to Transport

Because our chainless bicycles have no greasy chain, dangerously sharp sprockets or delicate derailleurs, they are far easier to load on and off vehicles for transport. No more greasy palms, greasy wrists, cuts or scrapes just trying to load or unload your bicycle on your car, boat or RV.

there's 2 positives ;)

The Pizza served at the Pizza Shop at the main intersection accross from the Bank was pretty good. For early September however, it sure felt cold sitting upstairs. The it started to rain. Perhaps next time we can have a beer or two while we share a Pizza. Haines is a very beautiful town.
Well, I never been to Hai-nes......
..... but I really love my Pizza
Haines has beautiful ter-rain
.......& Van, I'd surely like to meet ya.
I would greet you,
then I would treat you....
to-o some Pizza...ye--ah.

:devilish:

Well, looks like I really messed this inquiry up!

I was trying to get the Forums feedback as to the appropriatness of the Shaft Driven type of Cruiser Frame Bicycle as a candidate for adding a Motor to. Not to use the Shaft Drive in any way other than peddling when the Motor was not turned on.

Can I have another try at this?

I expected that I would get answers like:

Yes, it will work fine, many Forum Members have used this type of Bicycle and mounted Motors on them with zero problems.

OR

No, it will not work, Internal Hub Bicycles are not candidates for Motorization because - (I do not know what to put in here since I have never had a Bicycle with an Internal Hub and I am just a novice trying to decide which Bike will 100% work the first time).

Please can I have another try at this?

Best regards,

Mike Lynch

Hi Mike

The search archives here are your best bet on research what has or has not been tried. Remember, that there are many members who posted about their projects over the years but aren't necessarily active to read your post.

Chain driven internal hubs have been used successfully, they are not the issue.
Shaft driven bikes have been around a long time, over a hundred years, check Pope and Columbia. http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle371.htm

I can tell you the setup you're talking about it not common. Doesn't mean it won't work but you'll have to do the research. Transferring power smoothly will be the issue and with the needed fabrication you'll have to answer whether it is worth it.

I don't know anything about the bike manufacturer you linked so can't say anything about the build quality of that brand. If you search around the net you'll find variations on the theme IE: shaft drive and now the new belt drive systems coming on line with internal hubs. Some ideas look good on paper but with the manufacturing done off-shore the build quality can suffer.

I had a passing interest once in the AutoBike and it's "automatic transmission" until I found them to be really just a piece of junk.

Good luck and hope this helps

I haven't seen anyone try a build with one, so you would be in uncharted territory. I doubt the SBP Shift kit would work on them without some serious fabrication since there are no front sprockets. The frames look okay from the standpoint of dimensions for mounting an HT. Except: If the crank isn't wide enough, you could have some trouble. I suspect there is internal gearing on the crank, so you probly couldn't just install a wider one.

The pizza parlor no longer exists, but hidden on a small side road (actually an alley) below Fort Seward, is a place called The Fireweed. Not many tourists find it, but the locals and seasonal workers know where it is. It's worth looking for.

Back