Anyone Familiar With Airless Tires?

one thing bugs me about this type of tire is ppl say they are about equal to 80-90psi hardness. I like to run a bit soft to help with softening the ride on an already heavy bike. I like the design of other prototype airless tires that are not solid for the suspension effect. like they have gaps in the rubber so it can give. but if they can make one durable and comfy, oh and WIDER, $70-80 is fair. they could pay for themselves in 800-1000 miles

I have a customer with solid tubes. He was lucky enough that they fit really tight, so roll nicely with no drag. They are a bit hard to put on, but not impossible (I use three motorcycle tire spoons), but to change a bald tire, it has to be cut off with a hacksaw. He likes them, but the ride is way too hard for me since you feel every bump and pebble in the road.

Last edited:
I had them a long time ago but I heard the technology has advanced quite a bit. The problem is hardness and also it adds a lot of weight to the tire which saps torque and top speed.

I know from experience solid tires and the other option solid tubes Suck!
A friend bought them for me some years ago because I got flats from riding in a construction zone 3 days in a row.
The ride is like a Brick! Handling goes to sh*t.
Tires roll off the rim in a hard braking turn. The solid tubes slide around inside the tire and make you think you have a flat and they make your tires wear funny.

I just double up on tube protector strips and Slime tubes. Now I rarely have flats.
The reason, why they slide, is that you did not read the instructions.

I assume you are referring to Bell No Flats on the box it sez fits 26 x 1.75 to 1.95 if your installing on 2.00 or greater, yes, they're going to slide and even flip right off.

I used one it did just fine could not tell the difference except that it was a 1.95 and I was running a 2.125 on the front which made the rear squirley front stabile.

The only tuff tire I could find was meat mountain tire design for dirt and I ride pavement.

I eliminated problem of snap spokes by buying mag rims and I'm glad I bought them I can put that worry out of the way.

Just one more problem to solve flats, then I can rest in peace. Two major killers of peace mind I no longer half to even consider to be a possible problem.

I had them a long time ago but I heard the technology has advanced quite a bit. The problem is hardness and also it adds a lot of weight to the tire which saps torque and top speed.

I put on mag rims there military war tuff and weigh about 25lbs each I guess, and have not noticed anything reduction in torque another 3 to 5 lbs won't make a difference if it does I would greatly choose that over a rear flat.

Here is an airless tire holes preinstalled life expectancy 5000 miles.
But I'm having trouble matching width and grove and clinch to their specs my are tuff mag rims 16mm x 10mm I want something tuff to match my rims.

Screenshot_20180905-095447.png
Screenshot_20180905-095447.png

Last edited:
Here are some more airless tires being released just this year. Lots of whack by Bridgestone.
A+ Gallery_6.jpg

Search "Tweel" on Google. It seems the major tire manufactures are coming out with the new stuff, and it will trickle down to the bicycle level. A Michelin rep told me they are in the bicycle tire business, it what got the company started.

no one seems to take hard turns at 40mph in any of the vids

Back