Anyone have experience with boost ports on reed engines?

Local time
7:55 PM
Title says it all. I see the CDH DIO cylinder was cut for a boost port and it looks like MZ Miami's sleeved cylinder is also boost ported. How effective is it on normal jugs?

I ordered a boost bottle and installed just the other day, the boost kit came with the bottle and a new intake manifold that was ported for a tube attachment. I could not fit the carburetor on to intake manifold the intake was too small (fixed with some plumbing tape to prevent leaks) connected the tube to the bottle (the bottle is right overhead of the manifold) and when I started it up it revved ridiculously high throwing smoke mind you this engine has 1k miles on it and all stock (way past break-in). I tried tunning the idle and it worked issue tremendous loss of power and speed (stock top: 25 MPH/ Boost top: 20 MPH struggles) it Boggs out every so often, so my opinion...................I got scammed:mad: might just take it off today going back to stock.

I think you introduced an air leak changing the intake
like Spare said ^ those bottles can only work at a very specific rpm and seeing how small they are, id bet they could possibly only help somewhere around 1600. it's a function of volume vs. gas pressure @ rpm n not easy at all to calculate

I think we're still waiting on spare to finish his bike n tell us how his extra boost port works out
*hint lol

I have the cylinder w/o the boost port on the engine but the new, new cylinder is here. Going to cut the boost port and port it the same. Need another piston and rings.

I don't like the idea of a third transfer port on these motors since it could starve the bottom end a little more but having a port straight shot down to the crank and a piston window are great

I ordered a boost bottle and installed just the other day, the boost kit came with the bottle and a new intake manifold that was ported for a tube attachment. I could not fit the carburetor on to intake manifold the intake was too small (fixed with some plumbing tape to prevent leaks) connected the tube to the bottle (the bottle is right overhead of the manifold) and when I started it up it revved ridiculously high throwing smoke mind you this engine has 1k miles on it and all stock (way past break-in). I tried tunning the idle and it worked issue tremendous loss of power and speed (stock top: 25 MPH/ Boost top: 20 MPH struggles) it Boggs out every so often, so my opinion...................I got scammed:mad: might just take it off today going back to stock.
Good call. You did get scammed. Unless you know how to tune a boost bottle to your engine you are throwing your money away. Go back to stock.

I don't like the idea of a third transfer port on these motors since it could starve the bottom end a little more but having a port straight shot down to the crank and a piston window are great
do you mean take away from low rpm? i see modern 2 strokes have many transfers but small

Back