Anyone in their early 20's? (age)

erickster

Local time
6:59 PM
I was browsing around the net at different motorized bicycles and started to notice a trend. Many people are either older 30-40+, or younger, 18 or under. Anyone in their 20's?

I'm 23, and I built this bike for fun and because I'm fascinated with it & love new, interesting projects, and love learning new things. I get a lot of negative response, "why don't you just ride a normal bike"? It's sort of a downer.

What's the deal?

By the way, the only positive response I got was from an older lady at my local park... haha.

I'm 25. I built my bike because I am too poor to afford to get my licence back. I got sick of peddling and walking.

I'm 22. I've got a junky Corolla, but I'd rather ride on my bike. Plus my license is suspended for a month, maybe more.

I've gotten nothing but positive looks from people, except for one guy pedaling by me. I wonder why he was POed. Hmm... he had to pedal & I didn't... that's right.

He wasn't one of those bikers who wear full spandex and eyeglass rearview mirrors, was he?

They make so much effort to be streamlined, but they sit straight up.

I wanted to make an electric one because of the debt I owe to the environment.

He wasn't one of those bikers who wear full spandex and eyeglass rearview mirrors, was he?
Actually, he wasn't. He was borderline thug. The spandex bikers I've seen are just as amazed as everybody else who "interrogates" me when I'm getting on/off the bike. This guy was just plain jealous.

Anyway... I think our age range is less likely to use motoredbikes right now, because we've all got lotsa things going on in our lives. Most of us don't have free time, and the free time that we do have is going to be spent wisely... not sifting thru mostly irrelevant posts from some forum. We are content with the cars we drive, but we'll come to our senses sooner or later.

Im 23. I collect vintage cars, and i got hooked on whizzers through vintage bicycles.

i'm 22. i built mine because i impulse bought the kit on ebay at first sight. There was about 3 minutes between first becoming aware of the existence of bicycle engines and waiting by the fedex tracking site to see when mine would arrive.
I'll keep building them because they are so much fun, and because, although it seems far fetched, these could go a long way to fixing transportation congestion and gas shortage problems. The idea needs to be kept alive and spread!
In Europe, the first thing kids do when they hit 15 is get a motor scooter (vespa ish) and a license. In Canada at least, the snow keeps most of us kids from owning a motorbike or scootor because it's useless 5 months of the year. Take the price down to 300 bucks for essentialy the same thing and suddenly it's viable. I thinks they are one of the greatest things.

I agree 100%, I'm 23 and I take a lot of 'stuff ' for riding it to and from campus, although strangely the townies seem mostly just interested! But I think most people in their early 20s are in the 'too cool stage', and are just secretly jealous. (at least that what I tell my self so I don't feel dumb lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting thread...
I'm 23 and have always wanted to have a motorized bike. I grew up riding mini bikes and go karts but just didn't put in the time to figure out plans for a "safe" prototype. When gas hit $ 3.25 I decided I wanted to try again and was amazed how it already existed. I'm just getting ready to graduate and am going to have to start paying off loans so anyway to save a buck is great.

Like sparky said alot of people just give me sh*t for being tight on cash but soooo many people are just enthralled. I wish I could find a way to direct import these bad boys because in a college town with loads of rich kids from the city....I could make a buck!!

Back