Anyone know of a 12v dynamo...?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by RedBaronX, Jan 30, 2012.

1. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

Subject line says most of it...

I have what is currently a stand-alone lighting system powered by a 12v rechargeable battery. To recharge it, I remove it from the bike and charge it with a wall plug (bike is parked outdoors and I live on the second floor, so running a cord out to the bike is not possible). The inconvenience is worth having a full lights system, but I would to be able to recharge the battery with a dynamo. Anybody have one or know of one that works well?

the headlight alone is 18w, don't know how much the tail light is nor the blinkers and brake light

<
  2. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

Sure, there are 12v bottle dynamos. 12v 6w to be precise. My local CVS (Longs Drugs replacement) sells them, even.

A simple search at Amazon or eBay will lead you to them. They usually come with a light set, but one side of the dynamo is 6v (taillight).

3. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

well yeah, I've seen those. But I don't know if they are going to put out enough power to recharge a battery that is running a 18w light plus other lights if they are designed to run a 6w bulb...

4. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

They may or may not. Hard to tell when you're going over 20MPH on a bottle genny.
    It sure as heck aint gonna keep up with an 18w light. No one I know of one sells a genny that will.

5. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

a brushless or even (cheap these days!) brushed motor as used in RC...

needs a rgulator/rectifier. either source one from a pit bike or make one with a few diodes and a 12v regulator (or zener if you are really cheap)