Anyone Motorize a 29'er ?

Thanks for the link Dave - that Schwinn looks impressive from an engineering standpoint, although I suspect 24V doesnt offer much in terms of excitement ? Anyone hot rod one of these things by doing two sets of batteries ? Anyone have one - perhaps someone can comment on it as an owner/rider ?

Schwalbe has the 2.35 big apple in a 29er, the 29er is actually a 700c rim, just wider to accommodate wider mountain bike tires. One legitimate argument against a 29er is longer spokes, hence weaker wheel. I bought Motobecane phantom 29er from bikes direct, I plan on lacing up some 10ga. stainless steel spokes from Buchanan's"s spokes. The stock wheels come in 32 spokes like most new bikes. I would have preferred a 36 spoke wheel but hopefully the 10ga. spokes will be sufficient.

If you lace up an electric hub or drum brake and 3-speed hub, you'd have shorter spokes and a safer wheel.

It'd be cool to run twin engine friction drive on the 29" bike, but mountain tires wouldn't work well.:geek:

I have a 28incher and I do not really like it at all. I would rather have 26 wheels, but I got this bike for cheap haha. The 28s are way too tall and i feel out of control when going very slow. It just doesnt feel right.

i have seen a few hybrid MTB's which are ultimately a 29er but road/trail tires, i have noticed they need different sprocket configuration due to the bigger wheel diameter..

I am thinking of putting a 700c front wheel on my chopped stretched cruiser with a nice big 29er tire (fitment permitting) and 26" on the rear..

I have backordered a voodoo dambala 29er but I dont want to be putting any engines on a $2000 XC bike :D keep the motors for the bikes i cant be bothered pedaling with ;)

There is a 700c wheel 28" tire (45c) on this bike that replaced a 26" wheel with a suspension fork. The A-C measurements were about the same and with this setup the front end feels less vague I think. I can fit a 29" tire in that fork but not with a fender.
DSC01156.JPG

This bike was designed to take the largest rubber available for 700c wheels or the 26" rim Surly Endomorph also which is 4"es wide. The 29" wheels eat pot holes and curbs for breakfast. The 20" wheel in the back of the former bike doesn't handle them nearly as well.
DSC01158.JPG

At the end of the long day I don't really think that wheel size has as much bearing with MB's as it does for PB's. The motor is way more than an equalizer for most situations but I do believe that the larger the diameter, the better it will take road obstacles.

Last edited:
Back