Anyone order from gasbike.net?

mountain80

Local time
4:28 AM
As the title states has anyone dealt with them? They seem to have a large selection of parts and reasonable prices, just wondering what they are like to deal with.

Cheers

I ordered an 80cc kit from GasBike on 12-19-08. They were pleasant and seemed to know their product. They shipped it almost as soon as I ordered it, and provided a FedEx tracking number nearly immediately. The kit is scheduled for delivery on 12-24-08, which is the day after tomorrow. I'll let you know what it looks like.

GasBike did good.

I've had a couple of days to check out my GasBike kit, and I'm satisfied with it so far. I haven't installed and started it yet. But, I know it will run because I saw signs that it was test run at the factory. That's good.

I did pull the head and cylinder, and took a look inside. All was well, and the piston to cylinder wall clearance was good. The engine does have a needle bearing wrist pin, and that's also good because this is a current engine. Older engines had a bushing.

The cylinder base gasket was too wide and was partially blocking both transfer ports by about 20% on each side. I can understand why the gasket is too wide. For mass production with semi-skilled labor, and time restraints, the base gasket must go together quickly and with no leaks. There is not enough time for hand fitting, and I've seen this on many loop-scavenged two stroke engines. If you have the engine apart, you can take a razor blade and trim the gasket more accurately.

You might not want to attempt pulling the cylinder if you haven't done it before. The base gasket is glued down a little, and it's bound to tear when you separate the cylinder from the engine case. If the gasket is not damaged too much, I take a little silicon seal, RTV, very little, and repair it. But, go sparingly with that stuff because if you apply too much it will squeeze out into the engine.

Also, when I have the cylinder off, I always put a couple drops of oil on the wrist pin and the cylinder wall to prevent having a dry engine start, which is not good. Again, don't over do it with the oil.

I haven't looked in on the clutch and gears yet, so I can't tell you what they look like. But, it's worth a look.

GasBike was prompt and efficient with my order; everything was packed well, and nothing was missing.

It was chrome plated, and it did not have the angled spark plug. The studs are 6mm, not 8mm. Yet, I was impressed with the quality for the money. I researched the engine, and found that it is manufactured at this place in China.
http://ntjlqy.en.alibaba.com/

I know that BMW motorcycles discontinued cylinder liners in 1981, "Cast sleeves were discarded in favor of Nikasil coating for the cylinders, and the intake and exhaust valves were enlarged to improve breathing." So to me, liners are a step backward. Liners are heavier and can be rebored. Who wants to?

It's cheaper and better to replace the cylinder on these small engines, about $25.00, than to have them re-bored and a new piston fitted at $50.00 an hour labor. I had a 1981 BMW R100RT that my wife and I toured about 60,000 miles. I never heard of anyone wearing out the chrome cylinders on a BMW motorcycle. I'm not saying that a small inexpensive bicycle engine is the same as a BMW, but the chrome bore is similar.

I don't see any advantage to the angled spark plug either, except to fit the engine into a tighter space.

I'm satisfied with the GasBike engines, I just received another one from FedEx today. The price is right. I don't know about GasBikes service and parts, and there is no warranty. But, I have the name of the manufacturer and can gets parts elsewhere if needed. Like I said, GasBike was prompt and sent the engines immediately. Both engines were test run at the factory, and the one I opened up looked good. I'm going to tear down the the one I got today and check the base gasket in it.

Call me old fashioned I guess. I like the idea of being able to rebuild the engine years down the road when a replacement cylinder is not available anymore. Or even just to freshen up an engine that has a lot of hours. With an iron sleeved engine, you can run a flex hone a few strokes to de-glaze the cylinder wall, and install a fresh set of rings to regain compression lost to normal wear and tear.

Lawn Boy iron sleeved two strokes can be kept running for decades like this. All of my "industrial" utility engines (2 or 4 stroke) have cast iron sleeves for longevity.

A Nikasil or chrome plated bore does offer advantages like lighter weight and better heat transfer - which is great for a high performance dirt bike or motorcycle engine. But a these bicycle engines are hardly high performance, and are plated for economy reasons, not for high performance. (I would guess that Nikasil plating is a lot more expensive than chrome plating)

Also - as far as I know, Grubee is the only company selling NTJL engines here in the USA. (by exclusive contract) Chances are, your engine came from one of several factories in China making the same basic kit.

I agree, arceeguy. I see my little Chinese engine as expendable. Yet, relining small engines is common.

In fact on my DT-1 Yamaha, it was necessary to re-bore it every year or two. After about 3 oversize, it was time for a new cylinder. Yet, the old cylinder could be relined, and was, and so can just about any 2 cycle engine, even if it did not have a liner to begin with. Of course, sooner or later the small Chinese motored bike engines will be collectible, like the old Whizzers and the O&R Chicken Power; I've had both, and then some.

You're right, there is more pride of ownership and value in something that has quality and is built to last.

i got mine a few weeks back. it came probably within 10 days (or less) of placing order. installed it yesterday, and she fired right up.

I ordered a PowerKing kit from Canada, too. I like it better than the GasBike kits for several reasons; yet the GasBike kits are okay. I have two GasBike kits, and one PK.

The fit and finish on the PK seems better, and it has 8mm head and cylinder studs, not 6mm like GasBike. Also, I like the smaller fuel tank on the PK, which is about 2/3 the size of the GasBike tank. The GasBike tank holds about 1 gallon. Although the paint was good on the GasBike tank, the PK has even better paint. The GasBike has a chrome plated sprocket, the PK is silver paint. The PK has a chrome plated exhaust, where GasBike is painted. Both use different spark plugs

Sunday night put in a order to them. It was not till the transaction was done the name rang a bell. Last Jan. Had a bad luck with these guys. Was getting concerned when no tracking number came. But the big brown truck showed up thursday with the parts.Packaged well. Everything complete and new. Last evening send a email to them they answered promply. See them on left side of the page now. No doubt I will use them again. Maybe they and I were having a bad day then. Who knows, just a update.

Back