Anyone Pedaling?

Harvey

Local time
1:06 PM
I want a motor on my bicycle but still want to ride by pedaling.
Here in Massachusetts, I can ride a motorized bicycle on the streets and bike lanes, but not on bike paths.
I would like to motor to a bike path and pedal around, then motor back home.
Friction drive seems to be the best option for me for its simplicity and ease of installation. I'm considering the BikeMotorParts kit with Honda GX35.
Would pedaling this motor around be a problem or would it become more difficult to pedal with the additional weight?
Does the fact that the whole motor hangs to one side cause much of a problem?

I have the same kit but with the robin 35cc on a full suspension mtn bike. I have no problem pedaling it the motor is hardly noticed. The ride is ths smoothest motorized bike I have ever riden.

Here in Massachusetts, I can ride a motorized bicycle on the streets and bike lanes, but not on bike paths.
Friction drive seems to be the best option for me for its simplicity and ease of installation. I'm considering the BikeMotorParts kit with Honda GX35.
Would pedaling this motor around be a problem or would it become more difficult to pedal with the additional weight?

Pedaling on bike paths with that kind of set-up won't be much of a problem as long as you kill the engine and raise the drive assembly off the tire.
Also, as long as you stay within the mini utility engine weight category, the side-weighting is primarily only a problem of the bike wanting to fall over when stopped if you use a traditional kickstand.

My bike fell over today with Subaru-Robin engine no damage only cus i was walking down a steep hill talking on a cell phone--no problem at all pedalling i could definetly do it all day.

Attachments

• robin2.jpg
    robin2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 445
I have several bikes, but only one is motorized. I ride the non-motorized bikes much more.

Kit and engine...good choice all around. I frequently, with my friction set up, motor and pedal all the time. Just kill the engine, the centrifugal clutch will disengage and there is no drag. I ride to the park, cut the engine, and ride (pedal) right along side the silly civilians.

I have BMP set-up with Subaru Robin EHO 35 from Silvaire (much less than Honda 35 and just as good or better than Honda according to some opinions).

Silvaire, member of this board still has some for sale, brand new engines still made in Japan.

No problem with engine hangin on left side.
Even people who use much heavier Honda GX50 with friction drive report no problem of any weight imbalance.

When you lift the roller off the tire there is no resistance whatsoever.

You pedal it just like bike, 35cc engine weighs only 8 lb dry + weight of the kit.

Get both rollers: 1 inch and freewheeling 1.25 inch, easy to swap.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
That may be the best feature of friction drive. I can lift up the engine and the bike is just about as easy to pedal as a bike without an engine.

I pedal when taking off too. And when I run out of gas !

My wife and I are long distance bicycle tourists and have got to the age where we need the little motor to help us out at times. We still pedal 40 to 60 miles a day. We don't even know the motor is there with the friction drive released. When we come to a steep hill, the drive goes down, the engine goes on for a few minutes, then we pedal again. We would not be able to to do the type of riding we do otherwise. I also put a little black bag on the engine (from Wal-Mart for about $5) to hide the it when not in use, not because of legalities, but out of simple pride ;0)

I have to discipline myself the follow the routine I just outlined. That stupid engine is just too much fun . . .:devilish:

Back