anyone recognise this engine?

zippinaround

Local time
5:10 AM
cant even remember where i got it but i presume its chinese due to the lack of any markings! no idea what size it is either but it looks about 33cc

Attachments

• DSC01583a.JPG
    DSC01583a.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 313
I believe that one came from a pocket rocket. I don't know of a brand name.

^^^with that one.^^^

standard 49cc pocket rocket kids bike engine.

cag i think is one brand, possibly. meh. generic chinese.

make a decent friction drive if you set up ok.

has no pullstart. forget trying to use the chain/sprocket on a bike with wheels over 16"...

cool looks tiny for a 49cc. i have the pull start for it also. why cant i fit it to a bike with wheels over 16"?

cus you will need a sprocket almost as big as the wheel to get worthwhile reduction....

all about ratios ;)

oh, yeah, you can USE it on something with big wheels, its just the work involved in gearing if you go with chain. friction drive solves that issue :)

depends on your mechanical skills ?

I see! so the original spocket would be useless cuz it was designed for like a 4" wheel? friction drive would be easier i think.
and yeah i'm not the best mechanic in the world but i'm not the worst either still sounds like a lot of work since the drive sprocket is only about 1cm in diameter . i really just want something to help me get up hills because i live at the top of a hill about 2km long and quite steep!

Put a small spindle directly on the crankshaft and mount it to something it will pull up hill decent if the spindle is small enough.

7/8 of an inch is ideal, wheel size doesnt matter on friction drives, you have to think that its the roller circumference speed that governs your speed. the wheel is just a "follower" gear. use 5/8 ID star washers on a 5/8 bolt, with some flange mount bearings ON BOTH ENDS OF THE ROLLER!

friction drive sux in the wet :(
get the roller too big and they suck in the dry too!

for chain redux... a HT say, uses a 44 rear, 10t primary with an internal gear redux of 82:20 or, 44/10x82/20=18.04 :1 which is seemingly ideal for a 26" wheel, but can be pushed to say a 32 or 36 on the rear... roughly 70mm travelled on the ground for every revolution of the engine?

two strokers will prefer higher ratios so they can spin more easily.

I see that def215 has one of these rack mounted on a full suspension bike with a 100 tooth sprocket and can go 30 mph so surely the standard 68 tooth sprocket would do 15-20? how do i find out the internal gear redux? after thinking about friction drive i don't really want to do that, like you say it sucks in the wet and i live in ireland it rains like 80% of the time also it would most likely chew up your tire pretty quick!

cag motor

ZIPPIN
Have several of that engine, some with the 52cc kit and separate head from cylinder. Most have had trouble with them and have gave up after much effort.

Mine only ran a little while and would not start again, changed coils, carbs etctera. My thinking that they need a shroud all the way around the cylinder, not just cooling on the fan side.

They should be a good engine`s if you make a complete cylinder shroud from soda can or some thin aluminum cut off pieces from a sheet metal shop, they may give it to you.

All the transmissions with the 78mm clutch drum work on those motors. They have the 76mm clutch shoes.

You can buy a friction drive kit from Dac`s" and a gas tank for gravity feed and you should be good to go.
If that motor fails, there are many motors that will bolt up to the friction drive kit with just the 4 bell housing bolts. DO NOT RUN IT AT ALL WITH OUT THE FULL SHROD !!!!!!!!!!

Without shroud fill the tank only half full, doubt it will last that long.

Good luck , Ron

After Posting this, I see my Avatar picture is one of my builds with that engine with a CVT and my double right hand freewheel setup. Also have the same setup on another identical bike but with the Titan 49cc 4 stroke. They are still together in my garage, but have not been run in over 4 yrs.

THE KITS MAY COME WITH 2 ROLLERS OF DIFFERENT DIAM. With 1 1/4" roller mine did 35mph with 180 rider on level blacktop.

Back