Anyone running the Honda/Huasheng 49cc without the sheet metal air deflector on head?

Houghmade,....10-4. My EZM Huasheng kit came with only the shroud on the left side that wraps around the back...That is the one I am considering removing.

Houghmade,....10-4. My EZM Huasheng kit came with only the shroud on the left side that wraps around the back...That is the one I am considering removing.

I wouldn't recommend you do that because your engine will run too hot and my experience is that they don't like getting too hot. I have, by pure chance, noticed that on one paticular journey only my Honda GXH50 really sings and runs at 55 km\hr with more to spare. This only happens when I ride away from a friends place in cold night air. The first 2.5 kms is over really rough dirt road and I have to pedal very slowly with the gear not engaged because the bumps would break the bike at speed. This takes me about 10 minutes weaving around potholes and currugations and by the time I turn out onto the highway the engine has warmed up by idling for 10 mins. I notice that this makes the motor perform incredibly well on the highway and it can reach 63 km\hr but sits nicely at 55. I have decided that two factors make this happen - the long warm up and the cold night air. I can't think of any other factors it could be but it is very noticeable on this one journey and the cold night air always helps the motor to really sing.

I wouldn't recommend you do that because your engine will run too hot and my experience is that they don't like getting too hot. I have, by pure chance, noticed that on one paticular journey only my Honda GXH50 really sings and runs at 55 km\hr with more to spare. This only happens when I ride away from a friends place in cold night air. The first 2.5 kms is over really rough dirt road and I have to pedal very slowly with the gear not engaged because the bumps would break the bike at speed. This takes me about 10 minutes weaving around potholes and currugations and by the time I turn out onto the highway the engine has warmed up by idling for 10 mins. I notice that this makes the motor perform incredibly well on the highway and it can reach 63 km\hr but sits nicely at 55. I have decided that two factors make this happen - the long warm up and the cold night air. I can't think of any other factors it could be but it is very noticeable on this one journey and the cold night air always helps the motor to really sing.

John,
The "night ride" observation you describe is spot-on. I used to drag race a few years ago and the fact is that cooler air (night air) is denser that warm air and contains more oxygen molecules per cubic centimeter. This becomes a critical component in drag racing as the tuning for denser air requires more fuel/jetting.
Another example of the quest for cooler air is an aftercooler on turbo charged engines.
With today's technologically superior oils, a lengthy engine warm up is no longer needed, but the engine should be allowed to build internal heat in order to reduce piston slap. This is specially true in mixed metal combustion chambers (piston is aluminum, bore is cast or steel) as the metals expand at different rates.
Larry

shroud hahah this motor is made for siting still i made it to be air cooled i took all them shrouds off its my understanding that when that motor is in cased it wound need or get air from the flywheel and them thos shrouds would keep air over the motor

well im air cooled at 35- 40 mph hahahah

i have 5 days a week 50 miles a day from the date i started here /// and 60 days off for the coldest mouths thats a close estment how many miles i have on my ride and it just gets faster with time

shroud hahah this motor is made for siting still i made it to be air cooled i took all them shrouds off its my understanding that when that motor is in cased it wound need or get air from the flywheel and them thos shrouds would keep air over the motor

well im air cooled at 35- 40 mph hahahah

i have 5 days a week 50 miles a day from the date i started here /// and 60 days off for the coldest mouths thats a close estment how many miles i have on my ride and it just gets faster with time

A conservative estimate, going by your starting date, that is min 264 days at 50 miles a day which equals 13,200 miles or 21,238 kms.
The experienced guys here know that these motors really do not like running too hot and with the shroud off that is what your motor will be doing. Don't you have an accurate odometer so you know how far the engine has travelled? How can you get your oil changes accurate without an odometer?
I find it impossible to believe this claim especially if you don't back it up with accurate data. I think you could probably get away with taking the shroud off if you lived in Spitzbergen but even then only in winter.

A conservative estimate, going by your starting date, that is min 264 days at 50 miles a day which equals 13,200 miles or 21,238 kms.
The experienced guys here know that these motors really do not like running too hot and with the shroud off that is what your motor will be doing. Don't you have an accurate odometer so you know how far the engine has travelled? How can you get your oil changes accurate without an odometer?
I find it impossible to believe this claim especially if you don't back it up with accurate data. I think you could probably get away with taking the shroud off if you lived in Spitzbergen but even then only in winter.
Interesting, interesting, ehy John....i have an odometer on my bike and i've done over 10000km with a gx31 and that is without counting the downhill travel when the motor isn't running.
I go twice weekly from sealevel to 400meters above.... and once every 2 weeks to 800meters (with 3 speed gearbox/hub) AND when going uphill/slow , (2.gear, sometimes 1.) there is 'stuff all' air moving past the cylinder (same for stop/start in town) and i keep doing that in middle of summer in the middle of the day and never had a heat issue in a year and a half, while e.g. on my old BMW (aircooled) i had to put an oil thermometer on because at times it was getting too hot (at a different place and different time)....
If my gx31 was not 'forced aircooled' , i am sure on that first trip up to 800meters (i was worried), it would have said "you must be joking, giving me little ('non forced') air cooled motor such a hard time, stuff you, i give up, bye bye....
Yes if you ONLY ride on the flat and never in stop/start traffic and the days aren't too hot, then maby, maby the motor will last as long as....
but the real test is in pushing it HARD.
Have Fun, AL.

Last edited:
Nitrohorse, exactly what I was thinking. The local track here is close to the coast so the night cools off pretty good and you can tell by the ET of the cars. I love that they get quicker and quicker as the night goes on.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMG5&P=ML

Just get one of these and check temp in the same spot on engine everytime, run with shrouds and with out. End of argument.

Back