Anyone tow a trailer?

no problems, you have to pedal more up hills,when loaded ,i travel 7 miles loaded, i make it in about 25 mins., but i love it , & most people are dumbfounded by it. i just wave, & buzz on. here is the link i used as a guide to build my handy trailer,

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-bicycle-trailer/

i was impressed by the hitch, which i had some old swivel casters, so i was in bussiness.

thats pretty much the EXACT same hitch I'm going with!!'

Ya i'm just worried about getting started rolling...the whizzer is kinda hard to pedal in the beginning - can imagine adding 100lbs to that, but I really would like to be able to haul stuff.

Okay, nice idea. Take a 6.5 cubic ft garden cart (item #ITEM 30422-3VGA, Harbor Freight, $89.99). Already has 200 inch wheelsm it is 50'' L x 30'' W x 23-1/2'' H (including handle), can carry up to 300 lbs, and would be very simple to replace the handle on with a curved Y hitch for bike use (you could even make the hitch detachable, and replace the hitch with the handle when you have garden work to do).

Heck, get really creative, and go to the craft's store, buy some sheet styrofoam the same thickness as your frame members, and make a fiberglass shelled tub for the frame, with an aerodynamic shape and a locking lid with a gas assist hatchback shock to hold it open.

you can, just center your load over the axle, so as not to put weight on your bike. i did replace the cheap chinese bearings, with better chinese bearings, but it pulls great.

yes i looked at the garden carts, i can't remember , but i think i went with the wood cart , so i could center the axle,thinking the axle was way back toward the back. i was afraid it would put too much weight on the bike via the hitch.

This is one of a dozen trailers I have built for myself and others. This was a flatbed trailer made from 4130 Cro Moly tubing. I rated it at 200 lbs capacity and the guy I traded it to constantly overloaded it. I got a Stihl chainsaw I wish I still had in the trade.

Attachments

• trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 396
Back