Wheels Anyone true their own wheels?

i just ordered this stand from bike nashbar. they are haveing a good sale on it right now. will let you all know what i think. should have it monday http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...oretype=&estoreid=&pagename=Show All Products
i have tried on my bike using the break pads and you can get pretty close. from my experience to get the really perfect you need to use a stand. the rounder the better it will roll and the more speed you will get out of the bike and i know we all love to go zoom zoom:p

I bought that exact model for my son-in-law. I have to admit that I used it to replace all those busted spokes from my original build before I gave it to him. It worked like a dream. It took me about an hour to replace the 9 broken spokes and true, round, and dish the wheel using this stand, and every minute was fun.

I used to be the wheel builder guy for a shop in Wash. DC that catered to racers. A few tips; tighten or loosen spokes in even numbered groups for best results. After building a wheel or lots of truing, it's good to stress the wheel by grabbing alternating pairs of spokes (in several directions) and squeezing the pairs. Do this with a fair bit of force. Then retrue as needed. If you ever need to replace a rim, and if you can get a replacement rim that takes the same spoke lengths, you can simply put the new rim along side the old and move the spokes over, one at a time to the the new rim, then true as needed.

Has anyone considered making a solid-style back wheel so every component works in unison, like those race bikes have where there are no spokes?
I don't know I am fresh fish.

I've been considering that idea myself while I'm waiting for the new DAX kit to arrive (to be sold). This guy: http://stores.ebay.com/Taibilllin-Bicycle-Rims-And-Wheels
sells these types of wheels, BUT, I'm uncertain about the 'trueness' of these wheels or the potential hop that may be possible. In the feedback ratings, there are some complaints of this, but you have to remember that these are inexpensive rims (as compared to true carbon fiber versions). I may go for it, or try a 'Wheelmaster' set. I'm still in the 'planning my motored bike' phase. --John

tuekeyssr:
"the wheelmaster" set is very tempting.He guarantees some of his wheels for a lifetime so he must have a heck of a lot of confidance in them.....if your interested PM and see what he sayes.

Normally when my rear wheel goes bentage I just cruise around the garage sales and pick up a 10 dollar bike for the wheel. I tell you,man. I spent my last dollar on some gas so broke here as broke does.
So I'm looking at what I got. A nice front wheel from same donor bike my 2nd wheel came from. I also have these 24 inch rims. I went ahead and put that onmy bike. I lost rear brakes but I figure it's gonna be slow and sure enough. SLOW.
So I'm checking out this front wheel and it's as straight as an arrow so I take off the spokes,zip tie it against my bent back rim,lined up the holes and proceeded to move the spokes one at a time from the original rim to the front rim (check out pics) Sucess! HEY! That was easy! So I got it on the donor bar forks after spreading them out good bike upside down and I'm adjusting the spokes now. Not only is it EXACTLY WARPED LIKE MY OTHER RIM it also HOPS!
Oh man this spoke tuning takes skills,man.
I'm cracking up here!
I'll just get another bike this weekend for the parts. For now 24 inch rim get me down low cool yo.

Attachments

• 100_0746 copy.JPG
    100_0746 copy.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 296
  • 100_0747 copy.JPG
    100_0747 copy.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 311
Back