Anyone use a Staton Inc. gearbox on an in-frame 4 stroke bike?

bikejock

Local time
9:19 AM
I'm probably still going to switch over to a good 2 stroke motor soon because most of the transmissions for 4 stroke motors suck & the good ones are kind of out of my price range. But I was wondering, could a Staton Inc. gearbox transmission work for an in frame direct drive setup. I know they are for rack mounted setups but wasn't entirely sure what direction they spin in.

Probably not committing to one because it might be out of my price range & I think they were sold out of them for a while so I'm mostly just curious if that could work. It would be practically bulletproof compared to most of the crappy 4 stroke transmissions out there. Staton Inc. kits are very reliable compared to most of the junk kits I've dealt with in my experience after using a Staton Inc. friction drive bike for about a year. Its just a shame they never seem to bother with making in-frame 4 stroke motorized bikes better.

Last edited:
You would have to fab brackets to install a mid frame Staton chain drive box.

It wouldn't be a problem lining up the box's sprocket to a left-side wheel sprocket OR the right side.

The BIG problem is that any engine you use will stick way out in left side.....

OR right side.

An inexpensive way is the $30 pocket bike 5:1 transmission.
Mount the engine facing right.
Bolt on the 5:1 tranny.
Align the tranny sprocket with the outer chain ring sprocket and freewheel.
Connect a 24-tooth on the inside of the bottom bracket with a chain to the rear bicycle sprocket.

You're done.

He said he wants a reliable transmission, the whole point of the thread is that the cheap options are unreliable and he wanted to know if a reliable kit like that would be adaptable to an in frame kit..

Exactily. Those pocket bike transmissions are complete crap especially the clutch drum. I bought a pocket bike transmission to see if it could do the job but ended up returning it. The design & quality was a complete joke. For one thing the drive sporcket on those pocket bike transmissions would have to be swapped out for a sprocket that can accept a 410 or 415 chain or you'd have to redo the whole rear drive setup to accept a compatible chain.

Staton Inc. seems to make the best clutch drum rotors I've ever used & from the looks of their gearbox it uses the same clutch drum rotor thats on my friction drive bike from the looks of it in the photos. I've been using my Staton Inc. Honda friction drive bike for an entire year almost daily without a single clutch drum failure which is the most common 4 stroke failure.

So what would be the type I should get if I did decide to go ahead with it if Staton Inc. ever gets those gearboxes in stock? An inside or outside drive?

Last edited:
Exactily. Those pocket bike transmissions are complete crap especially the clutch drum. I bought a pocket bike transmission to see if it could do the job but ended up returning it. The design & quality was a complete joke. For one thing the drive sporcket on those pocket bike transmissions would have to be swapped out for a sprocket that can accept a 410 or 415 chain or you'd have to redo the whole rear drive setup to accept a compatible chain.

Staton Inc. seems to make the best clutch drum rotors I've ever used & from the looks of their gearbox it uses the same clutch drum rotor thats on my friction drive bike from the looks of it in the photos. I've been using my Staton Inc. Honda friction drive bike for an entire year almost daily without a single clutch drum failure which is the most common 4 stroke failure.

So what would be the type I should get if I did decide to go ahead with it If Staton Inc ever gets those gearboxes in stock? An inside or outside drive?
More room inside for a bigger motor, not to mention you stop having to rely on friction to do the job, which I know is working for you, but can never compare to a hard on chain linkage between the motor and wheel, and least in my opinion.

Last edited:
So I guess I'd be better off with a 2 stroke. I like the simplicity of the 2 stroke gear box. Only has 2 gears & if greased regularly it can outlast most 4 stroke transmissions from what I'm told. BTW can anyone recommend a type & brand of grease I should get for my 2 stroke gears?

Back