Apple's Weed Eater Bike

Greetings folks, this is my first post here. I came here looking for a way of quieting a weed eater motor, but ended up finding many people who have done what I am trying to achieve. So I figured I'd post my build process here. And I will also post any questions and such, so... I guess just enjoy the show, lol.

Ohhhhh, im an idiot... I dont have a proper clutch, but I do have 2 turnbuckles, I am probably gonna replace one with a spring for the sake of easier operation of the whole assembly. And... yeah, the whole relationship thing is... well, annoying to say the least... I am gonna stop talking about that now tho, I dont want to think about that.

Ok so a constant friction drive? So you’ll have to use the killswitch when coming to a stop and have to pedal. There’s videos on YouTube of those. If the motor isn’t touching it would be able to keep running but I see what you mean.

Yeah, I gotcha. If I decide to make another of these when I get the funds I will build a system like that into it, really I would probably just put a lever going from the mechanism to a spot I can reach, maybe put a locking mech in somewhere for the sake of not having to ride the thing with one hand... the only reason I went for the constant drive is because it seemed easier to be honest with you.

Oh I am really an idiot... I found out why the fuel system isn't working, the bulb on the dmn thing busted open. So that is great...

No worries common problem on old equipment. May be in your best interest to buy that $15 carb. The lines, bulb and the diaphragm under the bulb will all go bad that’s why people toss them, either that or they use gas for their 4 stroke lawnmower and seize them.

Yeah, I already replaced the fuel lines, so I guess getting that carb is really my best bet... I guess I will get back to y'all when I get that done.

get the engine running well first before mounting it..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HIPA-Car...0-Carburetor-air-filter-Tune-Up-Kit/889454404

add5b3ed-0162-4ea9-9372-3b3754a8ac8b_1.b13eb777588f2a9518f4be9304ac954c.jpeg

It used to be that BMX freestyle footpegs were a good source for rollers for friction drives. I worked at a shop back in 1993 that a local small engine guy was converting Ryobi 31cc 2 cycle weedeaters over to biicycle friction drive engines.

The big issue with the Ryobis are their overhung crankshafts, and that they didn't last long with the BMX footpeg only supported on the engine side.

Engineering any friction drive from a cheap weedeater is going to take some shop skills. Almost better to spend the extra money and buy a Stanton or DAX friction drive kit.

You'll still need to buy a 76mm clutch bell type of weedeater motor.

I have one of the old ryobi’s right now. I see a lot of friction drive bikes that have a long peg and it’s driven at the end of the peg. I think a short peg would be best if he can’t afford the American made kits. Ryobi’s also have Chinese bearings if I’m not mistaken. It might be possible to remove it and put in an skf or something. I have an old 25cc and there’s a snap ring between the shaft and the bearing, take that off and you should be able to knock out the bearing.

Back